For most people, exposure to Aldrin occurs when they eat foods contaminated with this chemical. Contaminated foods might include fish or shellfish from contaminated lakes or streams, root crops, dairy products, and meats. Living organisms may also be exposed to aldrin by drinking water, breathing air, or by contact with contaminated soil at hazardous waste sites. Skin contact and breathing of Aldrin by workers who used these chemicals to kill insects were at one time common. However, Aldrin are no longer produced and no longer used. People with the greatest potential for exposure include those who live in homes that were once treated for termites using Aldrin. Studies indicate that people can be exposed to Aldrin years after they were applied in a home.
Exposure to Aldrin is generally limited because aldrin is changed quickly to dieldrin in the environment which remains in the environment for a long time.
Levels of Aldrin have decreased over the years since they are no longer produced or used. The level of Aldrin in air and water are typically very low.
Aldrin can enter your bloodstream through your lungs when you breathe air, through your stomach after eating food or drinking water containing it, or through your skin. Exposure to Aldrin around hazardous waste sites can mainly occur by breathing contaminated air or touching contaminated soil. Exposure near hazardous waste sites can also occur by eating contaminated food or drinking contaminated water. Exposure of the general population most likely occurs through eating food contaminated with aldrin. Exposure of some infants occurs by drinking mother's milk containing Aldrin. Studies in animals show that Aldrin enters the body quickly after exposure. Once Aldrin is inside your body, it quickly changes to Dieldrin. Dieldrin then stays in your fat for a long time.
|NOTE! PREVENT DISPERSION OF DUST! STRICT HYGIENE!||General First Aid: IN ALL CASES CONSULT A DOCTOR!|
|Route of Exposure||Symptoms||First Aid|
|Inhalation||(See Ingestion)||Fresh air rest. Refer for medical attention.|
|Skin||MAY BE ABSORBED! See Ingestion.||Remove contaminated clothes. Rinse and then wash skin with water and soap. Refer for medical attention.|
|Eyes||First rinse with plenty of water for several minutes (remove contact lenses if easily possible) then take to a doctor.|
|Ingestion||Convulsions. Dizziness. Headache. Nausea. Vomiting. Muscle twitching.||Give a slurry of activated charcoal in water to drink. Do NOT induce vomiting. Rest. Refer for medical attention.|
Notes for ICSC Information
Other melting points: 4960C (technical grade). Depending on the degree of exposure periodic medical examination is indicated. If the substance is formulated with solvent(s) also consult the card(s) (ICSC) of the solvent(s). Carrier solvents used in commercial formulations may change physical and toxicological properties. Do NOT take working clothes home. The recommendations on this Card also apply to ICSC # 0787 (dieldrin). Aldrec Aldrex Aldrite Aldron Aldrosol Algran Altox Drinox Octalene Seedrin and Toxadrin are trade names.