Analysis of Infrastructure and PPP Projects with application of COMFAR III Expert software
Training Workshop, Vienna, 26 to 30 August 2013. Advanced Level
A 5-day Training Workshop will present the internationally accepted UNIDO methodologies and tools for project formulation and appraisal including COMFAR III Expert (Computer Model for Feasibility Analysis and Reporting). COMFAR facilitates the fast computation of financial statements needed for financial
and economic appraisal of investment projects. It can be used for small- to large- scale projects, expansion, rehabilitation and modernization of existing enterprises and joint ventures. The workshop aims at enhancing the knowledge of high-level officials, managers and practitioners on the economic,
legal, financial and technical modalities of infrastructure and PPP projects with application of the software.
The workshop has the following objectives:
- Introduce concepts and methodologies of financial and economic analysis and appraisal of infrastructure and PPP projects.
- Analyze modalities of private financing of infrastructure, presenting experience of various countries as well as discuss challenges for promoting and financing infrastructure projects.
- Develop skills, practice case study and use of special features of COMFAR software while applying its various analytical tools, i.e.: sensitivity and parametric analysis, break-even analysis, internal rate of return, net present value, incremental analysis etc.
- Discuss practical application of UNIDO methodologies and tools and exchange experience with workshop colleagues and UNIDO experts.
- Present UNIDO’s Technical Cooperation activities (individual meetings with UNIDO officers arranged on request).
As a prerequisite, participants in this workshop should have work experience in identification, formulation, evaluation and promotion of investment projects, preparation of pre-investment studies, as well as knowledge of financial management. Only participants who have previously received a COMFAR workshop certificate at least at basic (for workshops organized prior to Nov. 2012) or intermediate level are eligible to register. UNIDO reserves a right of pre-selection of participants.
The workshop covers the analytical framework of UNIDO’s methodology and tools for project preparation and appraisal necessary to design analyze and optimize infrastructure and PPP projects. Participants in this workshop should have at least intermediate understanding of economics, financial analysis, project appraisal and financial management.
The workshop provides both methodological background and practical training in preparation and evaluation of the investment proposals with application of comprehensive features of COMFAR III Expert software.
The workshop program includes among others:
- Concept and economic role and viability of PPP/PFI projects, , including the need and challenge for innovative financing of public-private partnerships / private finance for infrastructure.
- Principles of project finance, financial modeling and evaluation, types of private sector involvement in infrastructure development.
- Legal framework and regulations for PPP/PFI; tendering, procurement and role of government and public agencies in the implementation of PPP/PFI for large infrastructure and industrial facilities, project or concession agreement.
- Risk management and viability; identification and allocation of risks, guarantee facilities.
- Financial structuring and security arrangements and financial and economic appraisal.
- Financing arrangements and documentation, financial flow, cash flow based appraisal, bid evaluation.
- Specially developed case study on comprehensive analysis of infrastructure / PPP project.
- The workshop will be conducted in English. The duration of the workshop is one week; Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. to 15:15 p.m. Additional time will be allocated each
day for individual work and practice from 15:30 p.m. to 17:00 p.m. Arrangement of subjects and timing will be adjusted to meet the specific needs of the participants.
- As participation in each workshop is limited to 12 persons, please reserve your place as soon as possible. Each participant will work at one PC. Personal laptops may be utilized.
- The registration fee for the workshop is EURO 1,200.-. Participants who decide to purchase any COMFAR III software item during the workshop will be offered a discount of 20% on the applicable license fee.
- Travel, accommodation and meals are NOT included in the registration fee and have to be covered and arranged by participants directly. A list of the closest hotels to UNIDO HQ’ s will be forwarded together with the invoice.
- In case entry visa to Austria is required, participants are strongly advised to check on time relevant regulations with the Austrian Embassy or Consulate in their countries, in order to avoid unnecessary administrative procedures. In case of any difficulties, UNIDO will send an official invitation letter to assist in obtaining the entry visa to Austria from the Austrian Embassy or Consulate. However, UNIDO will only issue an official invitation letter for visa application after receipt of payment of the workshop fee.
- To register the registration form needs to be completed and returned to UNIDO by e-mail or fax (+431 26026 6807). Payments should be made immediately upon receipt of the invoice by either bank transfer or credit card. Detailed information on the bank account is provided together with the invoice. Registration is also possible on the COMFAR Homepage www.unido.org/comfar.
Please note that participation in the workshop will only be confirmed after receipt of payment. UNIDO reserves the right to pre-qualify participants.