The UNIDO Centre for International Cooperation in the Russian Federation (CIIC) celebrated its 20th anniversary in 2009. After overcoming the difficulties of the transition to a market economy, the country is now an important contributor to the Industrial Development Fund (IDF). The Centre is also involved in the establishment of the ITPO Network for EurAsEC funded by Russia’s voluntary contribution to IDF.
CIIC acts both as an ITPO and as a Focal Point for UNIDO assistance in general. The Centre has recently been particularly active in Russia’s regions, mobilizing UNIDO’s expertise to boost their development:
- A project in the Republic of Bashkortostan focuses on strengthening the capabilities of the institutional infrastructure for SME development and the promotion of business and technological partnerships.
- The Government of Moscow will be supported in making an ‘atlas’ of the best available technologies for ecological issues such as industrial water use.
- In the Samara region, a cluster in the automotive components industry is being created.
- Energy efficiency is to be boosted by two projects under Global Environment Facility (GEF).
- Under self-financing arrangements, Russia’s development needs will also be addressed in future years.
In addition, an international conference on medical waste management was organized with the support of the Federal authorities and the Government of the Republic of Tatarstan, in which more than 100 experts from cities in the Russian Federation and foreign countries participated, along with private sector representatives.
UNIDO Centre for International Industrial Cooperation in Moscow, Russian Federation
UNIDO Focal Point
Head: Mr. Sergey Korotkov