For most people, exposure to dieldrin occurs when they eat foods contaminated with this chemical. Contaminated foods might include fish or shellfish from contaminated lakes or streams, root crops, dairy products, and meats. Living organisms may also be exposed to dieldrin by drinking water, breathing air, or by contact with contaminated soil at hazardous waste sites. Skin contact and breathing of dieldrin by workers who used these chemicals to kill insects were at one time common. However, dieldrin is no longer produced and no longer used. People with the greatest potential for exposure include those who live in homes that were once treated for termites using dieldrin. Studies indicate that people can be exposed to dieldrin years after they were applied in a home.
Dieldrin remains in the environment for a long time and is usually detected in soil, sediment, and animal fat. Levels of dieldrin have decreased over the years since they are no longer produced or used. The levels of dieldrin in air and water are typically very low.Exposure to dieldrin around hazardous waste sites can mainly occur by breathing contaminated air or touching contaminated soil. Exposure near hazardous waste sites can also occur by eating contaminated food or drinking contaminated water. Exposure of the general population most likely occurs through eating food contaminated with dieldrin. Exposure of some infants occurs by drinking mother's milk containing dieldrin. Studies in animals show that dieldrin enter the body quickly after exposure. Dieldrin then stays in fatty tissue for a long time and can change to other products. Most dieldrin and its breakdown products leave body in the faeces. Some breakdown products can also leave in the urine. It can take many weeks or years for all of the compound to leave your body.
|NOTE! PREVENT DISPERSION OF DUST! STRICT HYGIENE!||General First Aid: IN ALL CASES CONSULT A DOCTOR!|
|Route of Exposure||Symptoms||First Aid|
|Inhalation||(See Ingestion)||Fresh air rest. Refer for medical attention.|
|Skin||MAY BE ABSORBED! See Ingestion.||Remove contaminated clothes. Rinse and then wash skin with water and soap. Refer for medical attention.|
|Eyes||First rinse with plenty of water for several minutes (remove contact lenses if easily possible) then take to a doctor.|
|Ingestion||Convulsions. Dizziness. Headache. Nausea. Vomiting. Muscle twitching.||Give a slurry of activated charcoal in water to drink. Do NOT induce vomiting. Rest. Refer for medical attention.|
Notes for ICSC Information
Depending on the degree of exposure periodic medical examination is indicated. If the substance is formulated with solvent(s) also consult the card(s) (ICSC) of the solvent(s). Carrier solvents used in commercial formulations may change physical and toxicological properties. Do NOT take working clothes home. Alvit Dieldrex Dieldrite Illoxol Octalox Panoram and Quintox are trade names. Also consult ICSC #0774 (aldrin).