Competitiveness, up-grading and partnerships
UNIDO recognizes the numerous constraints that stand on the way of profit making and long-term growth, such as:
- Lacking conducive regulatory environment and market information,
- Inadequate institutional and technical support infrastructure disabling industrial performance and competitiveness of SMEs,
- Weak knowledge and skills on the side of entrepreneurs in developing countries,
- Difficult access to financial services, and
- High up-front investments and transaction costs.
UNIDO seeks, through a combination of advisory and capacity building services, to strengthen national capacities for the creation and continuous improvement of a business environment. This allows the private sector to make a greater contribution to growth, employment and income generation.
UNIDO also supports the creation and/or strengthening of the institutional infrastructure required for the formulation and implementation of industrial policies and strategies. Working with policy makers to identify constraints in the market environment and finding ways to address them, UNIDO strives towards enhancing of productivity and competitiveness within a market development perspective.