Compliance in Fisheries Sector
The Marine Fisheries Department (MFD), which operates within the Ministry of Food Agriculture & Livestock is responsible for ensuring management and development of fishery resources as well as inspection and certification of exports for compliance with international requirements. The MFD acts as the EU designated Competent Authority (CA) in Pakistan. The support that UNIDO provided, within the framework of the EU funded TRTA programme, to the fisheries sector consisted of:
- Development of a comprehensive Inspection Manual in accordance with international practice for purposes and use of MFD as the EU designated Competent Authority.
- Upgrading and accreditation of the microbiology and chemical testing laboratories of MFD by providing technical advisory services and provision of equipment, training and participation in PT schemes.
- Trainings in Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), Good Hygienic Practices (GHP) and Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP) and Traceability methods to staff of MFD, KFHA, FCS and fish processing plants.
- Training of fishermen, boat owners, mole holders and auction hall operators in SOPs (Urdu) and good operational management practices along the entire fisheries chain.
- Technical advice for improvement of fishing boats and landing sites.
- Technical advice and designs for upgrading of auction halls, K-1 and K-2, operating under Karachi Fisheries Harbour Authority (KFHA) and Fishermen’s Cooperative Society (FCS).
- Expert guidance in application of SOPs and Traceability methods along the fisheries supply chain to ensure good hygiene practices in handling of fisheries products and traceability from fishing at sea to processing for export.
- Expert guidance in development of HACCP Plans for fish processing plants and application of HACCP practices by processors.
- Provision of hand-held PC compatible traceability instruments to fish processing plants to record traceability of fisheries products processed for export.
- Conduct of studies on value chain analysis and SPS mapping in the fisheries sector.
The TRTA/UNIDO interventions were aimed at the re-listing of processing plants for resumption of export of fisheries products to the EU.