Development of Women Entrepreneurship Phase II
The project “Development of Women Entrepreneurship Phase II”, component I of the IMP I, is to be implemented with a funding from the Spanish Agency for International cooperation (AECI) of 1 190 000 Euros for a 4 years period (2008-1012).
The elaboration of this project is based on the results of Phase I and aims at consolidating the results and to apply UNIDO methodology in the development of women entrepreneurship in other regions of the country.
The broad objective of the project is to increase the integration and contribution of the beneficiaries to the economic development of the country through an improvement of their activities and the creation of employment.
The specific and immediate objectives of this project are:
- Consolidation and perpetuation of the actions undertaken during phase I
- Technology dissemination and replication of the activities
The beneficiaries of the project, women entrepreneurs in morocco, have improved significantly their production techniques, from a traditional level to an efficient production, which responds to the international requirements. The reinforced institutional capabilities can be used in the framework of a direct intervention at the enterprise level in 3 pilot areas (Ait Hamza, Bouadel, Chefchaouen) to evaluate the impact and make necessary adjustments. However some actions are necessary to consolidate the learning and to identify new activities for the perpetuation of the project.
Actions planned for a greater impact of the project:
- Preparation of a toolkit (manuals, guides, software, ect.)
- Assistance to the groups in management, commercialisation and organisational activities (change in the status of the association to adapt to the commercial activities).
- Assistance to the pilot centers in the control of technical processes and entrepreneurial know-how, the application of quality and certification systems to be used as a reference for the diffusion of technologies and know-how.
- Set-up new centers to reach a sufficient production capacity which will respond continuously to the market demand and generate a return on investment;
- Elaborate an identification study of new activities similar to the ones implemented in the phase I and able to benefit from an integrated assistance;
- Diversification of the products to optimise the use of the equipments relating to the project.
Actions programmed for consolidation purpose include:
- Assistance in the set-up of cooperatives (in locations they don’t exist) to enable the women to manage and control their businesses more efficiently;
- Training of women in the management and commercialisation at the national and international level of all the products developed in the framework of the project;
- Prepare and put in place a local and external commercialisation strategy for all the products of the project;
- Implement the “bio” certification will enable the women to offer a higher value product and consequently benefit from a higher selling price which will improve their living standards considerably;
- Set–up of a traceability system for each product. This has become compulsory since 2005 for all exportations of food-processing products from Morocco to the EU. This system enables to collect the “coded” information throughout the food chain (from production to commercialisation and distribution). The implementation of the traceability is on its final stage for the production of dried fruits and finalised for the production of olive oil ( To be implemented for the next crop year).
These actions will allow the positioning of the projects in the international market. It is therefore projected to implement the following actions on a short-term basis:
- Prepare and implement awareness workshops for the women in order to set-up cooperatives in the region;
- Prepare data summaries for women in Arabic based on the guides and technical manuals;
The project will also disseminate the results to other regions and/or beneficiaries through the set-up of 2 new centers (one for the drying and another one for the olive oil) and the use of the toolkit.