The VEF 2013 is going green!
We aim to organize the Vienna Energy Forum 2013 according to the criteria of the Austrian Eco-label for Green Meetings.
Here, we will keep you informed about our efforts in making the VEF 2013 as green as possible.
Following in the footsteps of other UNIDO initiatives (COP17, GSSD), we are producing a green passport giving participants useful tips on how to reduce their ecological footprint during the VEF 2013 and enjoy Vienna in a green way.
The amount of printed material will be kept at a minimum to avoid waste. Various background materials will be included in our USB sticks only. Those materials that are distributed as print-outs at the Forum venue will be produced in an eco-friendly manner.
The VEF 2013 catering will focus on delicious seasonal and regional food. At the Forum itself, you will be informed about the origin of the meals offered. Additionally, we will exclusively serve fair-trade coffee and encourage participants to drink Viennese tab water.
NOW IT IS YOUR TURN! Here is how you can help support this initiative:
In order to become more eco-friendly and for your own convenience you can now also present your registration confirmation in electronic form on your mobile phone. We will be able to scan in the barcode from your mobile phone display and access your registration information this way.
- If possible, use environmentally compatible, public means of transportation to travel to the event location, or share a car. More here
- A great option for exploring Vienna is to make use of the Citybikes. They can be found all over town and you can return them to any of the 90 bike stations. The great part is that the first hour of every ride is for free! More information here
- If you cannot or do not want to do without your car, or if you travel by plane, you can offset your CO2 emissions by means of compensation payments. Make your voluntary contribution here
- If possible, choose an eco-labeled hotel (Austrian Eco-label, European Ecolabel, EMAS or others), as highlighted in our list of hotels.
- Make use of the environmentally benign offers of your hotel (change of towels and bed linen only when needed or the like).
- Turn off all lights, electronic equipment (TV, air condition system, heating, computer etc.) when you leave the hotel room for some time.
- Reusability = environmental protection: Give preference to drinks served by the glass, meals served on crockery, milk and sugar without individual packaging etc.
- Did you know that Vienna tab water is spring water from the Northern Calcareous Alps? Give it a try. You can get a refill while you walk the city from the water fountains.
- Dispose of your waste (PET, glass, paper, metal, batteries, etc.) via the separate collection systems provided at the hotel.
- Use your own writing utensils.