Lebanese Agro-Industry Support and Economic Recovery (LAISER) Project
As a rehabilitation activity after summer 2006 war, the Lebanese Government and UNIDO formulated the LAISER Project- Lebanese Agro-Industry Support and Economic Recovery
The purpose of the project is to support economic recovery and restore of industrial units in war-affected areas of Lebanon thereby generating employment and alleviate poverty in the country.
- Overall, the project is on target. Presently at midway 54% of the funds have been committed or spent. For its deliverables i.e. the provision of equipment, rehabilitation of enterprises and training. In terms of its activities the achievement is 66%.
- The project assists the Government of Lebanon in the process of rehabilitating selected agro-industrial enterprises (including food, beverage, textile, furniture making, Leather, etc.), enabling them to resume production, increase employment, and integrate into the global market.
- Presently, 54 Factories are being assisted through civil works, equipment and training/study tours activities.
- 20 training workshops are being conducted through year 2008 (covering all sectors).
- 6 study tours are being conducted through year 2008 (covering all sectors).
- A total of total of 850 participants from all sectors will benefit from capacity building activities such as study tours and general/specific training workshops.
- The LAISER project has evidential proof of its success; equipment has been procured and the beneficiaries have been consulted about their support; as for the civil works, the beneficiaries are involved in the process and participating through the improvement of interior upgrading in their factories.