Side-event: Cleantech as a Catalyst for Climate Action and the Clean Energy Transition
• Climate and clean energy technologies – cleantech - are a crucial and catalytic factor in implementing the global vision of a low-carbon, climate-resilient and sustainable future for all, as outlined in the Paris Agreement, the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, and the national development strategies of UNIDO’s Member States.
• UNIDO supports its Member States to not only achieve the ambitious vision but also leverage the economic opportunities embedded in the low-carbon trajectory. It does so by promoting cleantech innovation, entrepreneurship and commercialization. With the appropriate support, cleantech solutions can become profitable business models that provide climate and energy solutions, and further catalyze economic growth and sustainable development.
This interactive event will showcase the catalytic role of cleantech innovation, commercialization and deployment for climate action and the clean energy transition. It will elaborate on the impact of cleantech-based businesses in achieving sustainable development, youth and women empowerment, and job creation. An ensuing panel discussion will invite practitioners and experts to share their insights, recommendations and requests on how the international development community and UNIDO can further support climate action and clean energy transition by promoting development and deployment of cleantech solutions.
Innovative cleantech solutions supported by UNIDO and partners, and their high potential to address environmental challenges will be showcased during the event.
The importance of strong and synergistic network partnerships to fulfil a cleantech solution’s full impact potential will also be shown. The spectrum of actors and enablers across the value chain of technology, from situational analysis and needs assessment to full-scale commercialization and deployment, will be discussed. Special focus will be given to ways to close the financing gap, typically experienced by cleantech enterprises and project developers. The event will feature perspectives and proposals from investors, financial institutions, and large corporations.
The transformative role of cleantech solutions, financing mechanisms, and business models for engaging both advanced and emerging economies in the low-carbon development path will furthermore be highlighted.
- How do role-players best interact and contribute to the effective deployment of cleantech solutions?
- Which financing models work for Cleantech and Innovative solutions. How do we transform the investment systems and approaches currently applied to cleantech?
- What is the Role of Technology Transfer in scaling up efforts for the energy transition and decarbonisation of economies? How can Innovators and entrepreneurs be more effectively integrated in value chain of Technology Transfer – which models work?