New York, United States
UNIDO, Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Institute for Marine Research (Norway)
Implementation of SDG 14 in data poor LDCs with low institutional capacities
The session will reveal from the perspective of multiple entities with complementary mandates i.e.by the Partner Country (Sudan), by a donor country (Norway), by a UN organization (UNIDO) and by a marine research institution (Institute of Marine Research) how their synergetic efforts have allowed to contribute towards achieving SDG 14 in the Republic of the Sudan.
The session will demonstrate a replicable approach how in a logistically challenging environment:
- economic benefits to least developed countries from the sustainable use of marine resources can be increased (target 14.7)
- harvesting of marine resources can be effectively regulated by science based management plans (target 14.4)
- scientific knowledge and research capacity can be developed and how appropriate marine technology can be transferred (target 14.A)
Chair: Christian Severin Lead of Global Environment Facility International Waters Focal Area
Keynote: SDG 14 and LDCs/SIDS, Fekitamoeloa ‘Utoikamanu, Under-Secretary-General and High Representative of for the Least Developed Countries, Landlocked Developing Countries and Small Island Developing States (UN-OHRLLS)
Technical presentation: “Building institutional capacities for the sustainable management of the marine fishery in the Red Sea State” a project funded by the Norwegian Embassy Khartoum, implemented by the Marine Fisheries Administration with Technical Assistance by UNIDO and the Norwegian Institute for Marine Research (Mr. Erik Olsen, IMR Team Leader and Mr. Christian Susan, UNIDO Project Manager)
Panel discussion: what benefits could other LDCs/SIDS derive from a replication and what are the requirements for a successful replication.
· H.E. Ambassador Geir O. Pedersen, Permanent Representative of Norway to the United Nations
· H.E. Mr. Ali Ahmed Hamid Abdelgadir, Governor of the Red Sea State
· Phillip Scholtés UNIDO Managing Director Programme Development and Technical Cooperation Division
Åsmund Bjordal, Research Director/Head of Center for Development Cooperation in Fisheries