Full Project Title:
Environmentally Sound Management and Final Disposal of PCBs in India
Total Project Budget:
- Ministry of Power (MOP)
- Ministry of Environment and Forests (MOEF)
- Central Power Research Institute (CPRI) in Bangalore, Karnataka
Objective of the project is to reduce and eliminate the use and releases of PCBs to the environment through promotion of measures to minimize exposures and risks by introducing environmentally sound management and disposal of PCBs. PCB-containing equipment and PCB-containing mineral oils and wastes aiming at the final and virtual disposal of all PCBs inventory in India by 2025 and 2028, respectively.
The immediate objectives of the project are to:
- strengthen the legal and regulatory framework for environmentally sound management (ESM) and disposal of PCBs, PCB-containing equipment and PCB-containing mineral oils and wastes and also to improve institutional capacity at all levels of PCBs disposal management.
- improve institutional capacity at all levels of PCBs disposal management.
- removal of 7,7ooo tones of PCBs, PCB-containing equipment and PCB-containing mineral oils and wastes from targeted sites and transport them to disposal unit and
- Disposal of 7,700 tones PCBs, PCB-containing equipment and PCB-containing mineral oils and wastes in an environmentally sound manner.
the objective will be achieved through a combination of strategies, including legislative and regulatory assessment, capacity building, public education, technology transfer, technology dissemination, technical training, technical support and introduction of new advanced environmental risk assessment tools.
UNIDO will be the GEF Implementing Agency (IA) for the project. A project focal point will consist of dedicated core staff, supplemented by support from support staff colleagues on a part-time as required basis, supervised by a senior professional staff engaged in the management and coordination of UNIDO's Stockholm Convention Program. UNIDO will make these services available as part of its in-kind contribution to the project.