UNIDO at the Aid for Trade Global Review 2017
The Aid for Trade Global Review 2017 will take place at the WTO headquarters in Geneva on 11 — 13 July 2017. This year's Global Review is dedicated to the theme of “Promoting Trade, Inclusiveness and Connectivity for Sustainable Development”, and will provide an opportunity for stakeholders to look at how Aid for Trade can contribute to the integration of developing countries and least developed countries into the multilateral trading system and the achievement of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. A particular focus will be placed on women's economic empowerment.
On 12 July, UNIDO will be co-organizing a side event entitled: "Africa's Industrial Transformation: The Role of Digital Connectivity and the Need for Innovative Financing". The session will explore how the Aid-for-Trade Initiative could better contribute to Africa’s industrial transformation ambitions, in light of the new production revolution, connectivity requirements and financing needs. It will touch upon critical matters such as high-speed fixed-broadband infrastructure requirements for industrial transformation, regulatory frameworks, innovative financing and public-private partnerships.
Moderator: Uzo Madu, Founder of What's in it for Africa?
- François Xavier Ngarambe, Ambassador, Permanent Representative to the United Nations and other International Organizations in Geneva, Rwanda
- Tomochika Uyama, Deputy Director-General, Economic Affairs Bureau, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Japan
- Hiroshi Kuniyoshi, Deputy to the Director General, United Nations Industrial Development Organization
- Reinhard Scholl, Deputy Director, Telecommunication Standardization Bureau, International Telecommunication Union
- Jos Verbeek, Special Representative to the United Nations and the World Trade Organization, World Bank Group
- Michael Ferrantino, Lead Economist for Trade Policy, Trade and Competitiveness Global Practice, World Bank Group
- Stephen Karingi, Director, Capacity Development Division, United Nations Economic Commission for Africa
Side event organizers:
Permanent Mission of Japan to the WTO; Permanent Mission of Rwanda to the WTO and Coordinator of the African Group in the WTO; International Telecommunication Union (ITU); World Bank (WB); and United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
List of sessions UNIDO will be participating in:
|Day 1 - 11 July|
11:30 - 13:00
Session 4: Side Event
Clicks Need Bricks: Promoting Trade Through Quality Infrastructure
14:30 - 16:00
Session 13: Regional Focus
Aid for Trade in Asia and the Pacific: Promoting Connectivity and Inclusive Development
|Day 2 - 12 July|
9:30 - 11:30
Session 24: Plenary
Promoting Inclusive Trade through Gender Empowerment
12:30 - 14:00
Session 30: Side Event
15:00 - 16:30
Session 41: Side Event
How can Asia Seize the Opportunity of Foreign Direct Investment to Achieve Inclusive Growth?