VIENNA/BEIJING, 28 October 2021 – The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) and the International Network for Bamboo and Rattan (INBAR) have concluded a relationship agreement to promote bamboo and rattan industry development.
“By signing this agreement, we pledge to strengthen our cooperation in a wide range of areas, such as rural development with a focus on women and youth; circular economy; value chain development; SME cluster development; quality standards; and sustainable energy, amongst many more,” said UNIDO Director General LI Yong.
The partnership between UNIDO and the INBAR has been in place over recent years, including in the context of forums, such as the China Council for International Cooperation on Environment and Development (CCICED) and others.
INBAR Director General, Ali Mchumo, emphasized, “Jointly we can achieve more. INBAR will work actively together with UNIDO to take full advantage of the opportunities to build a green economy and provide nature-based solutions for sustainable development.”
INBAR and UNIDO share common aspirations and will under this agreement pursue a strong cooperation in the following fields:
- Agribusiness and rural entrepreneurship development focusing on youth and women;
- Investment and value-chain development in bamboo and rattan product industry;
- Circular economy, green economy, regenerative agriculture, and sustainable enterprises;
- Development of micro, small and medium industry clusters;
- Standards and certification mechanism and compliance;
- Affordable and clean energy;
- South-South technology and knowledge transfer, and strengthening of institutions;
- Utilization of UNIDO and INBAR’s global networks to facilitate the exchange of best practices and lessons learned, as well as dialogue amongst industry manufacturers, policymakers and investors; and
- Strengthening of the relations between industry manufacturers, and replicating and upscaling of successful collaboration models.
Both organizations work with individuals on the ground to improve livelihoods and strengthen sustainable models of economic growth; both partners stand behind the international community’s aspirations of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development to achieve the fulfillment of the Sustainable Development Goals.
The International Network for Bamboo and Rattan (INBAR) was established in 1997 as an intergovernmental organization that promotes environmentally sustainable development using bamboo and rattan. Its mission is to improve the well-being of producers and users of bamboo and rattan within the context of a sustainable bamboo and rattan resource base by consolidating, coordinating and supporting strategic and adaptive research and development.
For more details please see: