Promoting community level job creation and income generating activities through the development of cost-effective building materials production in Kyrgyzstan
UNIDO is implementing a technical cooperation project titled “Promoting community level job creation and income generating activities through the development of cost-effective building materials production in Kyrgyzstan”.
The project aims to promote and disseminate innovative and low-cost technologies to produce cost-effective and environmentally-friendly construction materials on the basis of the sustainable use of local raw resources that can be easily absorbed by the local construction industry for housing and irrigation purposes.
The above-mentioned features and project targets will address the following challenges the country faces:
- Shortage of low-cost construction materials;
- Lack of access to energy-efficient and environment-friendly material manufacturing technologies;
- Shortage of adaptable technologies based on local materials and manpower resources;
- Insufficient institutional support for promoting cost-effective technologies and investment in the material manufacturing sector;
- Unexploited potential for management of wastes/residues from agriculture and industry;
- Lack of employment opportunities leading to poverty;
- Deficient low-cost construction materials for reconstruction and repair work of irrigation canals and drainage systems, especially in rural areas.
In its implementation, the Project has a phased approach based on the premise that modernization of the country’s building material sector through adoption of innovative technologies and capacity building activities could facilitate community level job creation and income generating activities. This, in turn, could improve livelihoods, especially in rural areas, contributing to the Government’s efforts towards achieving economic prosperity, poverty alleviation, affordable housing and infrastructure improvements.
The project is fully consistent with the country's needs and the priorities set by the Government, as articulated in the Kyrgyz Republic’s National Sustainable Development Strategy for 2013-2017. Such project is the first-ever in the building sector, not only in the Kyrgyz Republic but also in the Central Asian region as a whole. It can be exemplary and a good basis for stepping up the UNIDO initiatives to implement inclusive and sustainable industrial development concept (ISID).
Apart from exploring the technological possibilities and solutions for the production of sustainable building materials, the project will identify the local potential of using building raw materials and technologies in sustainable solutions to rehabilitate pilot irrigation and drainage objects.
The direct beneficiaries of the project include SMEs operating in the building materials industry of Kyrgyzstan and a broader population that will benefit through increased access to durable and affordable building materials for housing and agricultural (irrigation) purposes. This includes:
- SMEs interested in the production of cost-effective and prefabricated building materials for housing and irrigation/drainage purposes;
- The construction industry (particularly, semi-skilled and unskilled construction male and female workers) through increased skills on how to operate cost-effective housing machinery and adoption of new building materials;
- The people of Kyrgyzstan through the adoption of affordable technologies for housing and the rehabilitation of irrigation systems, and related job creation in the local building materials, construction and agricultural sectors;
- Researchers and technologists engaged in composite materials R&D, process technologies, evaluation and testing, characterization of local raw material resources;
- Decision-makers in the manufacturing, housing, and agricultural sectors, as well as in environmental management, energy planning, and human resource development for technology management.
The main counterparts in the project are the Ministry of Economy of the Kyrgyz Republic and the Agency of Architecture, Construction and Communal Services under the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic (Gosstroy).
The Ministry of Economy of the Kyrgyz Republic is responsible for the implementation of the National Sustainable Development Strategy for 2013-2017, the State Programme on Affordable Housing, and other national policies towards sustainable and inclusive economic growth.
The Agency of Architecture, Construction and Communal Services of the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic (Gosstroy) is the government body responsible for the implementation of national planning, monitoring and management in the country's construction sector.
Project Advisory Board
The Project Advisory Board acts as a core governing body, the main function of which is to provide advice and strategic guidance to the project team on project implementation matters. The advisory board is composed of representatives from different state agencies, scientific-academic circles and the private sector.
Development of cost-effective building materials production
Promoting community level job creation and income generating activities
|Thermal modification technology for durable soft wood||Mud stabilized blocks||Extrusion technology for tiles||Sheep wool insulation||Straw mat knitting machine||Natural stone splitting machine||Shotcrete technology|
|Mud stabilized blocks - Production and use (English)||Mud stabilized blocks - Production and use (Russian)||Thermal insulation - Properties and applications in housing (English)||Thermal insulation - Properties and applications in housing (Russian)|