The Office of Internal Oversight and Ethics is responsible for providing the Director General, and management at large, with independent, objective assurance, systematic review as well as advice designed to improve and add value to UNIDO’s operations. This is carried out by bringing a systematic, disciplined and objective approach to assess and improve the reliability, integrity, efficiency and effectiveness of UNIDO’s operations, internal control framework, risk management, results-based management and governance processes, as well as to enhance organization-wide compliance with UNIDO’s regulatory framework. The Office also acts as the focal point within UNIDO for the Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) of the United Nations system. The Office of Internal Oversight and Ethics is guided by its Charter.
• Conduct audits/reviews of programmes, projects, services, systems, processes, procedures and operations from all sources of funds, both at Headquarters and in the field, to assess their reliability, integrity, efficiency and effectiveness, as well as to evaluate their compliance with UNIDO’s regulatory framework (e.g. regulations, rules, instructions and other pronouncements); report and make recommendations thereon to management for improvements.
• Advise management on key measures to improve, inter alia, the internal control framework, risk management, results-based management and governance processes.
• Receive complaints regarding alleged wrongdoings (c.f. UNIDO’s Code of Ethical Conduct)
• Investigate cases of alleged irregularity, wrongdoing, waste of resources and/or violation of UNIDO’s regulations and rules discovered by and/or reported to the Office of Internal Oversight Services, with a view to safeguarding the Organization’s interests and ensuring accountability.
• Review the development of new policies, procedures and systems and provide proactive input into them, without prejudicing the independence of the Office of Internal Oversight Services. Review donor agreements on audit and investigative matters.
• Develop and maintain audit and investigative methodologies and tools, as appropriate.
• Follow up on the implementation by management of the recommendations made as a result of the work of the Office of Internal Oversight Services.
• Cooperate with relevant bodies with a view to harmonizing and exchanging information on internal oversight policies, procedures and practices, and ensure the implementation of best practices.
• Serve as focal point for UNIDO’s relations with the JIU.