Internship in the Department of Environment
Please read the General Information and Conditions very carefully, as incomplete applications cannot be considered.
It is essential that all mandatory fields on the online Personal History Form (PHF) are completed, as failure to complete the Form would prevent the extraction of your details. In your PHF, kindly ensure to state your period of availability for this internship.
Please note that this page may not display correctly if you use Google Chrome, Apple Safari or Opera as your browser. Kindly use Microsoft Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox to open this page. In case of problems, please contact
Duration: 3-6 working months
Duty Station: UNIDO Headquarters in Vienna
Organizational Context: The Department of Environment contributes to inclusive and sustainable industrial development by improving the environmental performance, resource productivity and safety of existing, as well as by supporting the creation of new industries providing environmental goods and services.
It does so by promoting industrial resource efficiency to strengthen green industry and improve the effective use of natural resources including in particular materials and water; assisting developing countries and countries with economies in transition to achieve the objectives of and compliance with Multilateral Environmental Agreements; and by working to reduce the release of industrial pollutants in the environment.
The Department thereby encourages industrial development for economic growth that is resource-efficient as well as protective of the natural environment and human health, and keeps workers, communities and consumers safe. Its activities serve to improve competitiveness and access to markets, particularly for small and medium enterprises.
Tasks: Under the overall guidance of the Director and the direct supervision of the Unit/Division Chief, the intern will perform the following tasks:
1. Research the adoption by industry of cleaner and more sustainable production practices, methodologies and technologies;
2. Analyze the assistance provided by the Department in the environmentally sound management of Persistent Organic Pollutants and other toxic or hazardous chemicals used by industry;
3. Study the environmentally sound management by industry of its wastes and the creation of environmental services industries focusing initially on waste recycling and waste treatment systems;
4. Draft reports and perform other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
a.) Academic background: Environmental Management or a related field.
b.) Computer literacy: Microsoft Windows, proficient use of processing tools such as Microsoft Office package (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) is required.
c.) Core values: We live and act with Integrity; We show Professionalism; We respect Diversity.
d.) Core competencies: We focus on Results and Responsibilities; We focus on People; We Communicate and earn Trust; We think outside the box and Innovate.
How do I make sure my application is complete?
- submit a fully completed Personal History Form
- upload the proof of enrollment / certificate of graduation
- indicate the time in which you are available for an internship with UNIDO
- feel free to attach supporting documents (CV, reference letter, cover letter, language certificate, etc.)
Interested candidates are invited to Apply Here