Goal of the Month – July 2020: Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
In July, the United Nations family emphasizes the importance of sustainable industry, innovation and infrastructure to support building back better in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Industrialization promotes advancements in a large number of socio-economic and environmental goals. Industry-led growth is pro-poor. The manufacturing sector and related service industries provide jobs and generate incomes.
- The industrial sector has strong linkages to the other parts of the economy, and serves as an integrator also between agriculture and the service sector. Such linkages ensure that the economic dynamism and growth in one sector spreads to another.
- Inclusive and sustainable industrialization is a primary source of income generation, and allows for rapid and sustained increases in living standards.
- The interrelations between industry, innovation and infrastructure are strong, as industry is an important source of innovation, providing the technological solutions for environmentally sound development.
- Technological progress is the foundation for achieving green objectives, such as increased resource- and energy-efficiency, low-carbon production, circular economies and climate action.
- The COVID-19 crisis has shown the importance of industry as a provider of critical supplies and food products during the pandemic and a recovery pathway for post-COVID economies.
To build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation has to be seen as the backbone of thriving communities and hence, as the key to achieving the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
Learn more about SDG 9 and the progress of Goal 9 here.
UNIDO Statistics maintains data for six indicators related to the SDG 9. Track the progress of individual countries here.