Post Level: ISA-Specialist
TEMPORARY APPOINTMENT OF PROJECT PERSONNEL
Female candidates from all Member States are particularly encouraged to apply.
02 October 2019
Individual Service Agreement
16 October 2019
The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is the specialized agency of the United Nations that promotes industrial development for poverty reduction, inclusive globalization and environmental sustainability. The mission of UNIDO, as described in the Lima Declaration adopted at the fifteenth session of the UNIDO General Conference in 2013, is to promote and accelerate inclusive and sustainable industrial development (ISID) in Member States. The relevance of ISID as an integrated approach to all three pillars of sustainable development is recognized by the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which will frame United Nations and country efforts towards sustainable development in the next fifteen years. UNIDOs mandate is fully recognized in SDG-9, which calls to Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation. The relevance of ISID, however, applies in greater or lesser extent to all SDGs. Accordingly, the Organizations programmatic focus is structured in four strategic priorities: Creating shared prosperity; Advancing economic competitiveness; Safeguarding the environment; and Strengthening knowledge and institutions.
Each of these programmatic fields of activity contains a number of individual programmes, which are implemented in a holistic manner to achieve effective outcomes and impacts through UNIDOs four enabling functions: (i) technical cooperation; (ii) analytical and research functions and policy advisory services; (iii) normative functions and standards and quality-related activities; and (iv) convening and partnerships for knowledge transfer, networking and industrial cooperation. Such core functions are carried out in Departments/Offices in its Headquarters, Regional Offices and Hubs and Country Offices.
At Head Quarter level, the consultancy will be managed by the Agro-Industries Technology Division (PTC/AGR/AIT), which is part of Department of Agribusiness (PTC/AGR). The Division is responsible for technology aspects of agro-based industries in textile, leather, wood and agricultural mechanization. It also leads UNIDOs work in bio-systems engineering with a focus on new technologies in precision systems for irrigation, production and harvesting; new systems for bio-energy production; advanced packaging systems to maximize product quality; recycling agro-products and prevention of emissions to protect the environment; and information technologies to optimize bio-process strategies. Emphasis is placed upon the design of projects and programs to serve engineering needs of the agricultural/biological industries and water resources/environmental engineering needs of various governments, industries and communities, and the support to enhance the required industrial skills for sustainable development.
A global action initiated by the European Union (EU), ZEAT-BEAD, aims at contributing to improved food security and income for rural smallholders in South Sudan. UNIDOs overall objective of its component of the project entitled Enhanced local value addition and strengthening value chains is to contribute to improved food and nutritional security for rural small holders in the Bahr el Ghazal region by enhancing value addition and strengthening value chains. The expected results of the project are: (i) knowledge on potential value addition commodities in target area improved (i) access to value chain technology improved; and (iii) capacity of value chains operators strengthened.
The project was launched in February 2015 and through a market needs assessment, 4 value chains were identified for their production potential, especially in smallholder farming systems, and have been selected as the focus of this project: (i) Sorghum, (ii) Goundnut, (iii) Fishery, (iv) Hides & Skin.
Duty Station: Wau, South Sudan
EOD: 1 November 2019; COD: 31 July 2020 (with possibility of extension)
The Agriculture Engineer will work under the overall guidance and report to the Programme Management Officer (PMO) / Project Manager (PM) in-close coordination with the UNIDO national project management team based in South Sudan. Overall, the Agriculture Engineer is expected to facilitate execution of technical services. In particular, the incumbent is expected to undertake the following duties:
Knowledge on potential value addition commodities in target area improved
- Provide technical input to review of market analysis and feasibility study for fifth APC in Aluakluak;
- Advise in the review and revision of upgrading strategies to identify gaps and corrective action in the form of technology, training and / or infrastructure;
Access to value chain technology improved
- Identify bottlenecks and challenges for APC operations (structural design, equipment operations and maintenance, etc), propose corrective action and oversee implementation of such actions;
- Design training materials and deliver training for effective operations, repair, and maintenance of processing tools and equipment of APCs;
- Lead field level component of research on measurement of post-harvest losses, identification of potential post-harvest management systems and monitoring use and results of storage systems for operators and farmers;
Capacity of value chains operators strengthened
- Identify develop technical specifications for procurement of appropriate technologies for increasing value addition;
- Design and lead training for machine operators on operations, maintenance and sustainability of project equipment;
- Ensure training materials developed for the project are coordinated, comply with project requirements, are remain relevant;
- Maintain regular engagement with farmers and processors to strengthen linkages and communication between different value chain actors;
Monitoring and Reporting
- Present project updates or technical activities to the EU-TA and quarterly meetings where required;
- Provide technical inputs for annual and quarterly reports, presentations, etc or as required by the project;
- Provide substantive and regular reporting to the Programme Management Officer, Project Manager and Project Coordinator;
- Document project successes of technical activities with high quality photos and reports to strengthen visibility of the project;
- Facilitate international expert field missions;
- Engage regularly with field assistants and counterparts through mobile communication and site visits.
WE LIVE AND ACT WITH INTEGRITY: work honestly, openly and impartially.
WE SHOW PROFESSIONALISM: work hard and competently in a committed and responsible manner.
WE RESPECT DIVERSITY: work together effectively, respectfully and inclusively, regardless of our differences in culture and perspective.
WE FOCUS ON PEOPLE: cooperate to fully reach our potential and this is true for our colleagues as well as our clients. Emotional intelligence and receptiveness are vital parts of our UNIDO identity.
WE FOCUS ON RESULTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: focus on planning, organizing and managing our work effectively and efficiently. We are responsible and accountable for achieving our results and meeting our performance standards. This accountability does not end with our colleagues and supervisors, but we also owe it to those we serve and who have trusted us to contribute to a better, safer and healthier world.
WE COMMUNICATE AND EARN TRUST: communicate effectively with one another and build an environment of trust where we can all excel in our work.
WE THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX AND INNOVATE: To stay relevant, we continuously improve, support innovation, share our knowledge and skills, and learn from one another.
Advanced university degree in agricultural engineering, food safety, agricultural bio technology or related field.
â¢ Fluency in both written and spoken English is required.
Field of Expertise
â¢ A minimum of 5 yearsâ relevant professional work experience in the field of agriculture engineering, agriculture-focused research or other relevant agro-related field;
â¢ Hands on experience in agricultural engineering or related fields in rural context in Africa;
â¢ Experience in preparation of agro-related training materials;
â¢ Exposure to needs, conditions and problems of developing countries, especially in post-conflict countries;
â¢ Previous experience working with the United Nations system, international organization, NGO, research laboratories or other relevant institution;
General Functional Skills:
â¢ Strong communication, facilitation, analytical and writing skills;
â¢ Ability to work as a member of a team with good inter- personal communication skills.
â¢ Strong communication, facilitation, analytical and writing skills;