Global Cleantech Innovation Programme Coordinator
Post Level: ISA-Specialist
TEMPORARY APPOINTMENT OF PROJECT PERSONNEL
Female candidates from all Member States are particularly encouraged to apply.
14 May 2019
Individual Service Agreement
04 June 2019
The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is the specialized agency of the United Nations that promotes industrial development for poverty reduction, inclusive globalization and environmental sustainability. The mission of the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), as described in the Lima Declaration adopted at the fifteenth session of the UNIDO General Conference in 2013, is to promote and accelerate inclusive and sustainable industrial development (ISID) in Member States. The relevance of ISID as an integrated approach to all three pillars of sustainable development is recognized by the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which will frame United Nations and country efforts towards sustainable development in the next fifteen years. UNIDOs mandate is fully recognized in SDG-9, which calls to Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation. The relevance of ISID, however, applies in greater or lesser extent to all SDGs. Accordingly, the Organizations programmatic focus is structured in four strategic priorities: Creating shared prosperity; Advancing economic competitiveness; Safeguarding the environment; and Strengthening knowledge and institutions.
Each of these programmatic fields of activity contains a number of individual programmes, which are implemented in a holistic manner to achieve effective outcomes and impacts through UNIDOs four enabling functions: (i) technical cooperation; (ii) analytical and research functions and policy advisory services; (iii) normative functions and standards and quality-related activities; and (iv) convening and partnerships for knowledge transfer, networking and industrial cooperation. Such core functions are carried out in Departments/Offices in its Headquarters, Regional Offices and Hubs and Country Offices.
The Directorate of Programme Development and Technical Cooperation (PTC) is responsible and accountable for providing technical cooperation services to enhance the capabilities of developing countries and economies in transition to promote ISID in the areas covered by five departments: Department of Programmes, Partnerships and Field Integration; Department of Agri-Business; Department of Trade, Investment and Innovation; Department of Environment; and Department of Energy.
The position is located under The Climate Technology and Innovation Division (PTC/ENE/CTI) which is responsible for supporting Member States with access to and uptake of low-carbon, climate-friendly and clean energy technologies, innovations and entrepreneurship. It focuses on supporting entrepreneurship and facilitating the establishment of climate technology innovation ecosystems. In addition, the Division is responsible for enhancing the use of low-carbon technologies by industry and local communities, thereby contributing to climate mitigation and resilience in recipient countries. In discharging its responsibility, in line with the overall strategy of the Department, the Division cooperates closely with the Energy Systems and Infrastructure Division (PTC/ENE/ESI) and the Climate Policy and Partnerships Division (PTC/ENE/CPP), as well as other relevant organizational departments within UNIDO, in particular with the Department of Environment (PTC/ENV), the Department of Agri-Business (PTC/AGR) and the Department of Trade, Investment and Innovation (PTC/TII), donors such as the GEF, and other international and national institutions.
Duty Station: Vienna, Austria.
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, assist in appraising, adjusting and presenting project proposals, and monitoring programme implementation, identifying problems and utilizing information as an input to corrective actions to promote effective project management. Develops and administers technical cooperation projects by:
- Locating and analysing specific economic and social data and distilling and synthesizing information relevant to proposed projects;
- Identifying, describing and justifying project possibilities related to a particular project and consistent with approved technical cooperation programmes and ongoing activities;
- Appraising, reviewing and adjusting project proposals to ensure consistency with national, sub regional, regional and sectoral priorities and programmes, and with available resources, formulating and presenting such proposals on the basis of technical and substantive inputs in accordance with required format for final review and approval;
- Developing schedules, arrangements and methods for the management of the implementation of individual project/s, in consultation with project personnel, technical, substantive and administrative service units;
- Exchanging information required for project formulation and implementation with government officials in planning, finance, donor input coordination and sectoral functions, as well as with representatives of multilateral and bilateral donor agencies;
- Monitoring and expediting project implementation systematically through discussions and correspondence with technical, substantive and project staff, field visits, analysis of periodic project progress reports, participation in tripartite reviews and mid-term project evaluations; utilizing information obtained as an input to corrective
decision-making and revisions;
- Organizing and conducting briefings and debriefings on projects with special regard for the country, sub regional and regional aspects, resources and development characteristics, with a view to maximizing project performance levels.
INTEGRITY: To work honestly, openly, impartially and in accordance with the values of the United Nations.
PROFESSIONALISM: To work in a competent, committed and calm manner.
RESPECT FOR DIVERSITY: To work effectively, respectfully and inclusively with people from different backgrounds and with different perspectives.
RESULTS ORIENTATION AND ACCOUNTABILITY: To be accountable and responsible for achieving results and meeting performance standards.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: To plan, organize and manage work effectively and efficiently.
COMMUNICATION AND TRUST: To communicate effectively and build trust.
TEAM ORIENTATION: To cooperate at various levels.
CLIENT ORIENTATION: To be responsive towards those to whom services are provided internally and externally.
ORGANIZATIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND INNOVATION: To realize continuous improvement, support innovation, share knowledge and skills and learn from others.
Advanced university degree in sciences, engineering with specialization in climate and clean energy technology innovation and entrepreneurship.
Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
Working knowledge of French or Spanish is required.
Field of Expertise
At least five years of professional experience in technical cooperation project management at international level related to developing cleantech innovation ecosystems, acceleration of cleantech start-ups and entrepreneurs, developing policies and regulations that promote innovations, and facilitating access to finance.
Exposure to the needs, conditions and problems in developing countries.
Ability to research and analyse information independently and recommend solutions.
Ability to write in a clear and concise manner.
Ability to work effectively in multi-cultural teams