Investment Promotion Expert
Post Level: ISA-Specialist
TEMPORARY APPOINTMENT OF PROJECT PERSONNEL
Female candidates from all Member States are particularly encouraged to apply.
11 February 2021
Individual Service Agreement
04 March 2021
The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is the specialized agency of the United Nations that promotes industrial development for poverty reduction, inclusive globalization and environmental sustainability. The mission of UNIDO, as described in the Lima Declaration adopted at the fifteenth session of the UNIDO General Conference in 2013, is to promote and accelerate inclusive and sustainable industrial development (ISID) in Member States. The relevance of ISID as an integrated approach to all three pillars of sustainable development is recognized by the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which will frame United Nations and country efforts towards sustainable development in the next decade. UNIDO’s mandate is fully recognized in SDG-9, which calls to “Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation”. The relevance of ISID, however, applies in greater or lesser extent to all SDGs. Accordingly, the Organization’s programmatic focus is structured in four strategic priorities: Creating shared prosperity; Advancing economic competitiveness; Safeguarding the environment; and Strengthening knowledge and institutions.
Each of these programmatic fields of activity contains a number of individual programmes, which are implemented in a holistic manner to achieve effective outcomes and impacts through UNIDO’s four enabling functions: (i) technical cooperation; (ii) analytical and research functions and policy advisory services; (iii) normative functions and standards and quality-related activities; and (iv) convening and partnerships for knowledge transfer, networking and industrial cooperation. Such core functions are carried out in Departments/Offices in its Headquarters, Regional Offices and Hubs and Country Offices.
The Directorate of Digitalization, Technology and Agri-Business (DTA), coordinates and mainstreams the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) in its technical cooperation, strategic, normative activities aiming at fostering the inclusive and sustainable development in the era of 4IR. The Directorate creates new and innovative technical cooperation deliverables in the areas of trade, investment, technology innovation and agro-industry and agri-business. The Directorate comprises the Department of Digitalization, Technology and Innovation (DTI) and the Department of Agri-Business (AGR).
Responding to the growing demand for supporting inclusive and sustainable industrial development (ISID) in the era of the new industrial revolution, the Department of Digitalization, Technology and Innovation (DTA/DTI) leads the way in addressing opportunities, challenges and risks stemming from the fourth industrial revolution (4IR) and its contribution to sustainable socio-economic progress. The Department is responsible for the strategic coordination of 4IR-related matters with designated focal points in other technical Departments and organizational entities of UNIDO, as appropriate. In consultation with public and private partners, DTI designs and implements holistic interventions that are tailored to specific country needs. The Department’s interventions actively identify and combine complementary services from across three Divisions, namely:
- Innovation and Digitalization Division (DTA/DTI/IDD)
- Investment and Technology Promotion Division (DTA/DTI/ITP)
- Quality Infrastructure and Smart Production Division (DTA/DTI/QIS)
This position is within the Quality Infrastructure and Smart Production Division (DTA/DTI/QIS), which seeks to build national and regional quality infrastructure systems needed to provide internationally recognized services, including strengthening institutional capacities (i.e. metrology, standardization and accreditation); building conformity assessment capacities (testing, inspection, certification, calibration, etc.); supporting small and medium enterprises (SMEs) to take advantage of new technologies and standards for smart production and thus participate in global value chains; trade facilitation and promoting
quality awareness with the public sector, economic operators and consumers.
The aim of the Project “Investment promotion for Iraq – Phase II” funded by the Italian Development Cooperation is to promote existing and potential investments in Iraq to expand the share of the private sector contribution to the country’s GDP, to create employment opportunities for poverty alleviation and accelerated economic growth of Iraq. A dual focus will be on increasing foreign direct investment flows on one hand (the volume dimension) and, on the other hand, to elevate the impact of existing foreign direct investment (the quality dimension) in Iraq through re-investments, skills upgrading and increased local supply chain linkages.
In order to build permanent local enterprise development and business support services, UNIDO established Enterprise Development Centers (EDCs) jointly with host institutions such as the Ministry of
Industry and Minerals (MIM) Baghdad, KRG Ministry of Trade and Industry (MOTI), Nassiriyah Chamber of Commerce, and the Basra Chamber of Industry which offer services including, but not limited to, trainings, counselling, distance learning, workshops, study tours, ISO certifications, participation to international fairs, B2B meetings, matchmaking facilitation with foreign companies, and facilitating access to finance.
This new Phase II builds upon these previous achievements and propose a range of activities into three major outcomes: 1) Increased capacities of local investment promotion & enterprise development bodies to provide qualitative services to international and domestic companies for joint initiatives; 2) Vibrant Industrial Zones in the country attracting investors both local and international to establish their manufacturing base in Iraq; 3) Improving institutional infrastructure for adequate business support services and promote business matchmaking, investment promotion and technology transfer activities with international stakeholders.
Duty Station: Rome, Italy
Duration: 10 months (with possibility of extension)
Under the direct supervision of the Head of UNIDO ITPO Italy, and the guidance of the Project Manager based in Vienna the incumbent will be in charge of implementing and coordinating all the activities included in the Outcome 3 of the relevant project documents. Within the above context, the International Consultant will undertake the following activities:
- Provide overall guidance concerning the design and implementation of the activities indicated in the Outcome 3 as per project document.
- Development of the work plan for the Outcome 3, as well as a detailed relevant yearly action plan and budget.
- Preparation of analytical reports to donor and UNIDO concerning the Outcome 3
- Liaise on behalf of the project with Italian counterpart stakeholders relevant for the Outcome 3 implementation.
- Coordinate with the National Technical Coordinator and the Local Coordinators in Iraq regarding the implementation of the activities envisaged by Outcome 3 of the project document as well as inputs for
investment related activities under other outcomes
- Coordinate project synergies with experts from other UNIDO supported technical assistance programmers of relevance and the implementing partners under the scope of the Outcome 3 of the project; participate in the
steering committee meetings.
- Plan in detail project activities, including preparation of Terms of Reference for the International Experts potentially recruited under the implementation of the Outcome 3 as per UNIDO rules and regulations.
- Guide, monitor and assess implementation of the project activities by local partners, and national and international experts in line with terms of reference and agreed work plans agreed for the Outcome 3. Conduct
monitoring missions to the country, as needed.
- Exchange information relevant for Outcome 3 implementation with Government officials, representatives of multilateral/bilateral agencies, and key national stakeholders.
- Work in synergies with the Enterprise Development Centers (EDCs) and the existing Industrial Cities/Zones in Iraq with the aim to maximize the impact of the project activities concerning investment promotion,
technology transfer and capacity-building activities as indicated in the Logical Framework of the project.
- Supervise and maintain regular communication with the local partners,
national coordinators and national experts to ensure that the assigned tasks are delivered on time within the framework of the implementation of the Outcome 3 as reported in the project document
- Identify 3 different Iraqi business associations and assist then to prepare
business opportunities each from their respective association members for
subsequent international promotion
- Support the signing of MoUs between international business associations and Iraqi business associations previously scouted, profiled and assessed
- Prepare and coordinate study tours, business delegation, country visits and/or other business matchmaking activities (including remote/virtual options) for national experts, government counterparts, institutional
representatives and local businesses, also leveraging the role of UNIDO ITPO Italy
- Technical assistance provided to develop an organizational roadmap based on the supported institutions and association’s mandate, assessing and mapping the areas of capacity building required
- Provide inputs for the development of investment related activities under Outcomes 1&2. Promotional tools developed by Provincial Investment Commissions to promote investment opportunities abroad. Trained staff on the investment promotion methodology and approach from Provincial
Investment Commissions and KRG Investment Board
- Assure communication and visibility related activities under Outcome 3 of the project through all the channels used by UNIDO ITPO ITALY
- Performs other related duties and assignments as required by the Head of UNIDO ITPO Italy.
WE LIVE AND ACT WITH INTEGRITY: work honestly, openly and impartially.
WE SHOW PROFESSIONALISM: work hard and competently in a committed and responsible manner.
WE RESPECT DIVERSITY: work together effectively, respectfully and inclusively, regardless of our differences in culture and perspective.
WE FOCUS ON PEOPLE: cooperate to fully reach our potential –and this is true for our colleagues as well as our clients. Emotional intelligence and receptiveness are vital parts of our UNIDO identity.
WE FOCUS ON RESULTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: focus on planning, organizing and managing our work effectively and efficiently. We are responsible and accountable for achieving our results and meeting our performance standards. This accountability does not end with our colleagues and supervisors, but we also owe it to those we serve and who have trusted us to contribute to a better, safer and healthier world.
WE COMMUNICATE AND EARN TRUST: communicate effectively with one another and build an environment of trust where we can all excel in our work.
WE THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX AND INNOVATE: To stay relevant, we continuously improve, support innovation, share our knowledge and skills, and learn from one another.
Advanced university degree in international relations, economics, engineering or relevant discipline.
Proficiency in English and Italian is required. Basic knowledge of Arabic would be an asset.
Field of Expertise
A minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience, including some at the international level, involving technical cooperation in developing countries in the fields of project coordination and development and management of relationships with key stakeholders.
Familiarity with the business, investment and industrial climate in Italy and a proven track record of cooperation with Italian institutions of international development cooperation and trade and investment promotion with focus on developing countries and countries in transition are key requirement for this position.
Particular focus on support services for private sector development, technology transfer, investment promotion, entrepreneurship and capacity building activities at an international level is highly desirable.
Experience in technical assistance programmes, business promotion and entrepreneurial advisory services.
Exposure to the needs, conditions and problems in developing countries.
Analytical competence and excellence in coordination and problem-solving skills, particularly through the use of a scientific and systematic approach.