Junior Expert on Industrial Development
Post Level: ISA-Junior Specialist
TEMPORARY APPOINTMENT OF PROJECT PERSONNEL
Female candidates from all Member States are particularly encouraged to apply.
05 February 2018
Individual Service Agreement
26 February 2018
The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is the specialized agency of the United Nations that promotes industrial development for poverty reduction, inclusive globalization and environmental sustainability. The mandate of UNIDO is to promote and accelerate inclusive and sustainable industrial development in developing countries and economies in transition.
Under the overall direction of the Director General and the supervision of the Managing Director, and working in close collaboration with all organizational units within UNIDO, the Department of Policy Research and Statistics (PRS) develops and provides industrial policy advice to Member States, based on evidence emerging from thematic, regional, country and sectoral analyses of industrial development and processes of structural change. In close cooperation with other relevant organizational units, the Department develops UNIDOs research programme, advocates inclusive and sustainable industrial development as the main approach to reduce poverty and combat climate change, forges strategic partnerships to enhance UNIDOs own expertise, and strengthens the capacity of Member States in related areas.
UNIDO HQ, Vienna
DISSEMINATION OF THE INDUSTRIAL DEVELOPMENT REPORT 2018
UNIDOs flagship publication, its Industrial Development Reports (IDRs), provide decision-makers in government and the private sector, the development community and scholars, with updated information and analysis on key trends, challenges, and opportunities in the world economy pertaining to industry and industrial development.
The 2018 edition of the IDR presents a re-evaluation of the role of demand international, as well as domestic in fostering industrialization, using the analytical framework of the virtuous circle. According to this framework, the initiation of industrial development requires a critical mass of demand for manufactures and with the right set of conditions, the consumption of manufactures can set in motion a virtuous circle of industrial development comprising income creation, demand diversification and massification of consumption.
The report examines in detail the core mechanisms behind this process and identifies the main challenges and opportunities that arise from them. In doing so it touches upon several issues of prime relevance in the ongoing discussion regarding the sustainable development agenda, such as:
- Access to affordable variety of goods as an important avenue towards social inclusiveness;
- Domestic demand for domestic products as escalator for the development of local capabilities and training ground to go global;
- Smart integration into world markets to get the most from global demand and foster inclusive industrialization;
- Massification of sustainable consumption as a driver of sustainable production.
Following the publication a number of activities are organized to disseminate the main findings of the report and promote inclusive and sustainable development in Member States. The purpose of this project is to contribute to inclusive and sustainable industrial development through the promotion of knowledge and informed policy advice contained in the last edition of the IDR.
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, and working with the project team, the international consultant will contribute in the dissemination of the IDR 2018 and the production of dissemination tools. S/he will perform the duties indicated below:
- Contribute to the design of the dissemination strategy of the IDR 2018.
- Support the drafting and production of short notes (policy and/or research briefs) summarizing key findings and main messages of the report for a broad, non-technical audience;
- Liaise with international experts on the field of industrial development to promote and disseminate the findings of the report;
- Support the preparation of analytical material based on the report and tailored to the specific context/case of the countries/regions were launch events are organized;
- Assist in the provision of advice to relevant stakeholders in Member States on inclusive and sustainable development strategies and policies related to the theme of the IDR 2018.
INTEGRITY: To work honestly, openly, impartially and in accordance with the values of the United Nations.
PROFESSIONALISM: To work in a competent, committed and calm manner.
RESPECT FOR DIVERSITY: To work effectively, respectfully and inclusively with people from different backgrounds and with different perspectives.
RESULTS ORIENTATION AND ACCOUNTABILITY: To be accountable and responsible for achieving results and meeting.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: To plan, organize and manage work effectively and efficiently.
COMMUNICATION AND TRUST: To communicate effectively and build trust.
TEAM ORIENTATION: To cooperate at various levels.
CLIENT ORIENTATION: To be responsive towards those to whom services are provided internally and externally.
ORGANIZATIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND INNOVATION: To realize continuous improvement, support innovation, share knowledge and skills and learn from others.
Advanced university degree in economics or development studies or business administration with a specialization in industrial development or development management.
Fluency in written and spoken English is required. Fluency and/or working knowledge of another official UN language is desirable.
Field of Expertise
- A minimum of 3 year practical experience in the field of economics, including experience at the international level involving economic research in developing countries.
- A proven track record of analytical work on the field of industrial development, including contributions to reports and international initiatives on this field.
- Previous experience in drafting and editing of strategic communication materials related to industrial development.
- Knowledge of UNIDOâs approach to inclusive and sustainable industrial development is essential for this assignment.
- Familiarity with the specific theme and issues addressed by the IDR 2018 will be a distinct plus