Junior Project Assistant (Kenya)
Post Level: SB2 - Local support
TEMPORARY APPOINTMENT OF PROJECT PERSONNEL
Only nationals and/or permanent residents of the country of the duty station are eligible to apply. Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
27 August 2019
Individual Service Agreement
17 September 2019
The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is the specialized agency of the United Nations that promotes industrial development for poverty reduction, inclusive globalization and environmental sustainability. The mission of UNIDO, as described in the Lima Declaration adopted at the fifteenth session of the UNIDO General Conference in 2013, is to promote and accelerate inclusive and sustainable industrial development (ISID) in Member States. The relevance of ISID as an integrated approach to all three pillars of sustainable development is recognized by the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which will frame United Nations and country efforts towards sustainable development in the next fifteen years. UNIDOs mandate is fully recognized in SDG-9, which calls to Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation. The relevance of ISID, however, applies in greater or lesser extent to all SDGs. Accordingly, the Organizations programmatic focus is structured in four strategic priorities: Creating shared prosperity; Advancing economic competitiveness; Safeguarding the environment; and Strengthening knowledge and institutions.
Each of these programmatic fields of activity contains a number of individual programmes, which are implemented in a holistic manner to achieve effective outcomes and impacts through UNIDOs four enabling functions: (i) technical cooperation; (ii) analytical and research functions and policy advisory services; (iii) normative functions and standards and quality-related activities; and (iv) convening and partnerships for knowledge transfer, networking and industrial cooperation. Such core functions are carried out in Departments/Offices in its Headquarters, Regional Offices and Hubs and Country Offices.
The Agri-Business Development Department (PTC/AGR) provides a variety of technical cooperation services to assist developing countries add value to the output of their agricultural sector and generate increased employment opportunities in off farm activities for rural communities, thereby contributing to increased food security and a sustainable reduction of poverty. The Food System and Nutrition Division (PTC/AGR/FSN), promotes innovations in food systems of member states through value chain development and investment in agri-business, to enhance their productive capacities and reduce postharvest losses for greater food security, income and employment generation.
UNIDOs Dept. of Trade, Investment and Innovation (PTC/TII) supports countries to strengthen competitiveness in global markets through capacity-building in quality, environmental sustainability, and social accountability requirements in accordance with international management system standards and private sector requirements. The Standards and Quality Infrastructure Division (PTC/TII/SQI) provides policy guidance and institutional capacity-building interventions related to standards, metrology, testing, inspection, certification and accreditation, which are needed to participate effectively in the multilateral trading system.
PROJECT CONTEXT (SAP ID 170183)
The EU in partnership with the EAC has launch the Market Access Upgrade Programme (MARKUP) to support member countries improve market access of agro-food products to the EU and regional markets. The MARKUP is structured around two intervention levels: the EAC Window and the Partner States Window with country specific projects.
UNIDO is the implementation partner for the Kenya-Partner States Window.
The main purpose of this project is to contribute to the economic development of the Kenya by increasing the value of both extra and intra-regional agricultural exports in selected horticulture sub sectors; (snow peas and peas, mangoes, passion fruit, chilies, herbs and spices, nuts).
Recent studies have analyzed the reasons for low productivity and competitiveness in these value chains such as the need of specialized extension services and a diffuse lack of knowledge on appropriate good agricultural practices. These value chains for exports are also lacking compliance with market requirements and standards. National quality infrastructure has an advanced Quality Infrastructure; however, some conformity assessment services are not yet fully recognized by the targeted international markets.
This project will address these challenges through an intervention, which aims to:
- Improve the institutional and regulatory framework for better conformity assessment services in Kenyas horticultural sector, Increasing revenue and MARKUP for Kenyas smallholder producers and enterprises in export-oriented horticulture sectors.
- The current project will build upon the success of the SMAP project to further strengthen the market potential of high value horticulture.
- The Kenya MARKUP will focus on the horticulture sector and in particular, UNIDOs component will address the challenges in the following value chains snow peas and peas, mango, passion fruit, chilies, herbs and spices and nuts. Exact value chains and target locations will be determined done during the inception phase and after a detailed gap analysis. The value chains and locations will be chosen out of the lists below.
- The Kenya project is expected to work in up to 10 counties and in priority horticultural sectors. Exact value chains and target locations will be determined done during the inception phase and after a detailed gap analysis.
Duty station: Nairobi, Kenya
EOD: 01 November 2019; COB 30 April 2020
The Junior Project Assistant (PA) will work under the overall guidance of the UNIDO Programme Manager (PM) and under the overall supervision of Chief Technical Advisor (CTA) in Vienna. He/she will be reporting directly to the National Programme Coordinator (NPC) and will support the UNIDO Field team in Nairobi, which is composed of CTA, National Programme Coordinator (NPC), Knowledge manager, and Driver. The PA will be part of the Programme Support Unit (PSU) of the Kenya MARKUP Programme and will be providing administrative support to the implementation of the above interventions (listed under background information). The PA is specifically expected to:
Programme Administration Assistant
- Office management and daily organization of the PSU (answering phone calls, organizing and filing, sending and receiving letters, faxes, e-mails and any other written documentation, providing general clerical work etc.).
- Travel arrangements, hotel reservations, and expense reports for the CTA, experts, and for UNIDO MARK UP Team.
- Maintenance and archiving of programme records and documentation, both physically and in Opentext system.
- Coordination of overarching matters with other UNIDO project offices, as well as the UNIDO Office in Nairobi.
- Support in the writing of reports.
- Input of project documentation and records into UNIDO SAP system.
- Where needed, input of procurements and recruitments into SAP system.
SAP, Financial Administration and Reporting
- Maintenance of financial records during programme inception and implementation period.
- Contribution to the preparation of financial reports including usage of the SAP system.
- Acting as SAP Focal Point; guiding project office for proper utilization of UNIDO ERP SAP and OpenText to improve effectiveness and efficiency.
- Participation in relevant SAP training programmes, seminars and workshops.
- Maintenance of a database of local suppliers and service providers.
- Handling of the office petty cash, if requested.
- Arrangements for purchasing and receipt of office consumables.
- Assistance in drafting and proof reading reports as requested by CTA.
- Assistance in drafting and proof reading visibility materials developed for different target audiences of the programme
- Coordination, negotiation and liaison with local service providers for visibility materials (website administrator, printers, designers, etc.)
- Coordination of social media channels
- When requested, maintain accurate and updated information on programme website.
- Support where necessary data collection for Monitoring and Evaluation project activities.
- Provide support in collecting content for our communication strategy.
- Provide logistical support to the workshops where needed.
WE LIVE AND ACT WITH INTEGRITY: work honestly, openly and impartially.
WE SHOW PROFESSIONALISM: work hard and competently in a committed and responsible manner.
WE RESPECT DIVERSITY: work together effectively, respectfully and inclusively, regardless of our differences in culture and perspective.
WE FOCUS ON PEOPLE: cooperate to fully reach our potential and this is true for our colleagues as well as our clients. Emotional intelligence and receptiveness are vital parts of our UNIDO identity.
WE FOCUS ON RESULTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: focus on planning, organizing and managing our work effectively and efficiently. We are responsible and accountable for achieving our results and meeting our performance standards. This accountability does not end with our colleagues and supervisors, but we also owe it to those we serve and who have trusted us to contribute to a better, safer and healthier world.
WE COMMUNICATE AND EARN TRUST: communicate effectively with one another and build an environment of trust where we can all excel in our work.
WE THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX AND INNOVATE: To stay relevant, we continuously improve, support innovation, share our knowledge and skills, and learn from one another.
Completed higher secondary education. High school diploma or equivalent is required. Formal secretarial/clerical training or equivalent is desirable. University studies in the field relevant to the post may be counted towards experience credit (not exceeding a maximum of four years of the actual period of studies whichever is smaller).
Fluency in written and spoken English is required. # Fluency in Kiswahili is an added advantage.
Proficiency in MS-Word, MS-Excel, MS-PowerPoint and Internet tools are required. Typing skills would be an asset.
Field of Expertise
A minimum of three years of experience in a position providing support to managerial/professional staff requiring administrative and computerized abilities and preferably in an international environment. Experience in managing social media content. Work experience gained in sustainability standards, compliance issues, value chain, and value-added production desirable. UN project implementation experience would be an asset.