National Project Coordinator
Post Level: SB5 - Local Professional (Mid-Level & Senior)
TEMPORARY APPOINTMENT OF PROJECT PERSONNEL
Only nationals and/or permanent residents of the country of the duty station are eligible to apply. Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
31 January 2018
Individual Service Agreement
21 February 2018
The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is the specialized agency of the United Nations that promotes industrial development for poverty reduction, inclusive globalization and environmental sustainability. The mandate of UNIDO is to promote and accelerate inclusive and sustainable industrial development in developing countries and economies in transition. The Programme Development and Technical Cooperation (PTC) of UNIDO is responsible for providing technical cooperation services on technological and economic issues and is organized in the following departments: Department of Partnerships and Results Monitoring, Department of Agri-Business Development, Department of Trade, Investment and Innovation, Department of Energy and Department of Environment. Furthermore, PTC has a close cooperation with other field based Centers and Offices, such as the Investment and Technology Promotion Offices, forming the extended field network of UNIDO.
The position will be located in the Industrial Energy Effciency Division (PTC/ENE/IEE)
The Department of Energy (PTC/ENE) assists member countries in the transition to a sustainable energy future under the overarching mandate of inclusive and sustainable industrial development, through the application of renewable energy for productive uses, adoption of the efficient use of energy by industry and the introduction of low carbon technologies and processes. In transitioning to a sustainable energy future, the challenges of addressing energy poverty and climate change become an integral part of the Department activities. In discharging its responsibility, the Department cooperates with other relevant organizational units within UNIDO, in particular with: the Department of Environment on resource efficiency, clean technologies, chemicals and Montreal Protocol; the Department of Trade, Investment and Innovation on standards; the Department of Agri-Business Development on productive uses and with the Department of Partnerships and Results Monitoring on strengthening strategic partnerships. The Industrial Energy Effciency Division (PTC/ENE/IEE) is responsible for promoting the efficient use of energy by industry and the dissemination of industrial energy efficiency best practices and technologies in order to accelerate economic growth and enhance competitiveness and job creation, while addressing climate change. The Divisions focus on the promotion of industry cross-cutting solutions, such as the implementation of energy management systems and standards (i.e. ISO 50001 series and minimum energy performance standards (MEPS)) and energy systems optimization is complemented by substantial and growing research to support the deployment of process or sector specific low-carbon technologies that use energy more efficiently and productively. In discharging its responsibility, in line with the overall strategy of the Department, the Division cooperates closely with the RRE and CPN Divisions, as well as other relevant organizational Divisions within UNIDO, in particular with the Department of Environment and the Department of Trade, Investment and Innovation.
Greening Industry through Low Carbon Technology Applications for SMEs (ID 130279)
The Project's objective is to promote and support adoption of energy efficient practices and technologies in selected Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) in Thailand for improved competitiveness and a greening of industry.
The GEF-funded project is designed around two substantive components and aims to create demand for low-carbon technologies through policy support, awareness raising activities and capacity building of government, financial institutions, industries, technical personnel, as well as the implementation of demonstration projects to encourage the adoption of such technologies in SMEs. These interventions will create an environment conducive to increased investment in low-carbon technologies and energy efficiency improvements by SMEs in Thailand.
Until now, a targeted approach to catalyze investment in low-carbon technologies at the SME level has not been implemented. While a number of initiatives to promote energy efficiency and foster the adoption of efficient technologies in SMEs exist in Thailand, a lack of awareness and capacity prevents the initiatives from having wide-reaching and sustainable impact in the country.
The project's unique approach will have large replication potential beyond the project implementation period and scope, and thus accelerate the Thai Government's strategy for SME development towards achieving higher competitiveness in the global market. The project aims to:
- Enhance the policy and regulatory framework through identification and improved understanding of existing gap and barriers, resulting in key recommendations to develop enabling policies for Thai SMEs;
- Raise the awareness and understanding of benefits associated with the adoption of low-carbon technologies and relevant financing schemes through awareness campaigns, improved information dissemination and establishment of an Online Information and Learning Platform;
- Build the technical capacity on low-carbon technologies and EnMS of local technical experts, equipment and service providers, banking/financial institutions and industries;
- Increase adoption of low-carbon technologies and EnMS in SMEs by implementing demonstration projects in 3 factories in targeted sub-sectors (food and beverage, automotive, and ceramics).
The project focuses on supporting the adoption of energy efficiency (EE) solutions in SMEs and thus, will contribute to the principles of inclusive and sustainable industrial development (ISID), fostering innovation in an inclusive manner that leads to socioeconomic, as well as environmental benefits and job creation.
For detailed information on the project, please see the GEF CEO Endorsement document available on UNIDOs Open Data Platform.
Duration:1 year (extendable)
Duty station: Bangkok, Thailand
The National Project Coordinator (NPC) will have overall responsibility for the management and effective execution of the project, and the achievements of planned outputs and set objectives. She/He will :
- Be responsible for ensuring that all relevant partners and institutional stakeholders are kept involved and informed as appropriate, in order to ensure optimum cooperation.
- Play a key role in all project activities,
- Also be responsible for the management of the Project Management Unit (PMU) comprising of the NPC and a full time project administrative assistant.
- With the technical and managerial supervision and support of the UNIDOs Project Manager, periodic consultation with the Project Steering Committee (PSC) and ongoing dialogue with key project partners, be responsible for the daily management of the project to ensure that the project is effectively and smoothly implemented as per the project document and guidance from the Project Steering Committee.
Under general supervision of the UNIDO Project Manager (PM) and guidance from the UNIDO Regional Office in Thailand, the NPC is specifically expected to carry out the duties and activities listed below:
- To lead, manage and coordinate the day-to-day operations of the project management unit (PMU), including administration, accounting and reporting;
- In close consultation with project execution partners, primarily the Department of Industrial Promotion (DIP) and project stakeholders, to lead the formation of the Project Steering Committee (PSC), including definition of terms of reference and modus operandi;
- To act as Secretariat of the PSC by convening regular meetings to report and review project implementation progress;
- To act as Secretariat of the Working Group formed by the PSCs decision;
- In close consultation with project execution partners, primarily the DIP, and UNIDO PM, to prepare detailed annual work plans with human resource and budget requirements;
- To monitor project activities execution against work plans milestones and outputs, and take prompt corrective actions whenever needed;
- To lead the preparation of national subcontracts terms of reference; identification of national subcontractors/ bidders and preparation of cost estimates and time schedules for providing services as required by the project;
- To lead the preparation of job descriptions for national consultants and assist in their recruitment process through advertisement, collection of applications and short-listing of candidates;
- To ensure timely delivery and quality of national subcontractors and experts outputs and deliverables;
- To coordinate activities of project execution partners, consultants and subcontractors including contract management, supervision of field operations, logistical support, review of technical outputs/ reports, assessment of project achievements and cost control;
- To lead, supervise and assist in the identification and selection of qualified experts/organization to conduct the policy analysis and improvement for the promotion of low-carbon technologies within Thai SMEs;
- To lead and conduct negotiations with the Experts on preparing the training materials on the topics of low-carbon technologies, energy efficiency improvement, and productivity improvement as well as conduct the quality check for their outputs. The training materials will be varied and customized for the specific trainings as stated in the CEO document;
- To lead, supervise and assist in the identification and selection of the enterprises to participate in the energy efficiency improvements and low-carbon technologies capacity building program;
- To design the customized program for the in-depth technical training;
- To lead, supervise and assist in the identification and selection of the national trainees for in-depth technical trainings;
- To lead, coordinate and assist in the organization and delivery of trainings and workshops as mentioned in the CEO document;
- To lead, conduct and supervise negotiations with partner enterprises for implement low-carbon technologies and EnMS, and prepare document collaboration agreements;
- To lead, coordinate and supervise in the development of media such as video clips, articles, and case studies aimed to raise awareness about the Project and disseminate the best practices and results;
- To help moderate the brainstorming session/knowledge sharing/ fact finding that support other project activities such as the vendor meeting;
- To lead the development of the project website, which is part of creating the peer-to-peer network, and ensure the quality of the websites content to help promote the project;
- To lead, supervise and assist in the identification and selection of a qualified supplier to design and maintain an Information and Learning Platform (I&LP);
- To screen and approve the contents to be posted on the Information and Learning Platform;
- In line with UNIDO and GEF requirements and templates, to prepare the following reports and documents:
1) Quarterly progress and financial reports,
2) Annual project implementation review reports (PIR),
3) Biannual updates of detailed work plans for the following 6-month periods with relevant resources and budget requirements,
4) Annual report in Thai submitted to PSC;
- To submit annual performance appraisal of the PMUs staff;
- To submit 1-page evaluation for experts recruited and services providers working for the project;
- To continuously monitor the execution of project activities, performance and track progress towards milestones as indicated in the M&E Plan in the CEO Endorsement Document and provide information on monitoring as required by the UNIDO PM;
Project contingent activities:
- To carry out ad-hoc activities necessary during project implementation;
- To carry out other activities related to the project as desired by UNIDO Project Manager.
INTEGRITY: To work honestly, openly, impartially and in accordance with the values of the United Nations.
PROFESSIONALISM: To work in a competent, committed and calm manner.
RESPECT FOR DIVERSITY: To work effectively, respectfully and inclusively with people from different backgrounds and with different perspectives.
RESULTS ORIENTATION AND ACCOUNTABILITY: To be accountable and responsible for achieving results and meeting performance standards.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: To plan, organize and manage work effectively and efficiently.
COMMUNICATION AND TRUST: To communicate effectively and build trust.
TEAM ORIENTATION: To cooperate at various levels.
CLIENT ORIENTATION: To be responsive towards those to whom services are provided internally and externally.
ORGANIZATIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND INNOVATION: To realize continuous improvement, support innovation, share knowledge and skills and learn from others
Advanced Degree in engineering, management or another related discipline.
Fluency in written and spoken Thai is required.
A good command of English in both speaking and writing.
Field of Expertise
- At least 5 years of working experience in the implementation and management of industrial energy projects in the private sector; and
- At least 5 year experience in managing multi-disciplinary team of experts working in thematic areas such as energy efficiency and industrial energy systems;
- Experience in dealing with the SMEs would be valuable;
- Excellent knowledge and familiarity with the working of Thai government agencies and their process and rules;
- Good understanding of the Global Environment Facility (GEF) project cycle, operating principles, monitor and reporting requirements and experience and knowledge of UN procedures, rules and regulations will be an asset;
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office software package (Word, Excel, Power Point and Project)