National Project Coordinator (Cairo, Egypt)
Post Level: SB5 - Local Professional (Mid-Level & Senior)
TEMPORARY APPOINTMENT OF PROJECT PERSONNEL
Only nationals and/or permanent residents of the country of the duty station are eligible to apply. Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
12 May 2020
Individual Service Agreement
02 June 2020
The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is the specialized agency of the United Nations that promotes industrial development for poverty reduction, inclusive globalization and environmental sustainability. The mission of UNIDO, as described in the Lima Declaration adopted at the fifteenth session of the UNIDO General Conference in 2013, is to promote and accelerate inclusive and sustainable industrial development (ISID) in Member States. The relevance of ISID as an integrated approach to all three pillars of sustainable development is recognized by the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which will frame United Nations and country efforts towards sustainable development in the next fifteen years. UNIDO’s mandate is fully recognized in SDG-9, which calls to “Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation”. The relevance of ISID, however, applies in greater or lesser extent to all SDGs. Accordingly, the Organization’s programmatic focus is structured in four strategic priorities: Creating shared prosperity; Advancing economic competitiveness; Safeguarding the environment; and Strengthening knowledge and institutions.
Each of these programmatic fields of activity contains a number of individual programmes, which are implemented in a holistic manner to achieve effective outcomes and impacts through UNIDO’s four enabling functions: (i) technical cooperation; (ii) analytical and research functions and policy advisory services; (iii) normative functions and standards and quality-related activities; and (iv) convening and partnerships for knowledge transfer, networking and industrial cooperation. Such core functions are carried out in Departments/Offices in its Headquarters, Regional Offices and Hubs and Country Offices.
The Directorate of Programme Development and Technical Cooperation (PTC) is responsible and accountable for providing technical cooperation services to enhance the capabilities of developing countries and economies in transition to promote ISID in the areas covered by five departments: Department of Programmes, Partnerships and Field Integration; Department of Agri-Business; Department of Trade, Investment and Innovation; Department of Environment; and Department of Energy.
This position is located under the Industrial Resource Efficiency Division (PTC/ENV/IRE) of the Department of Environment, which is responsible for increasing the capacity of industry, government and business environmental service providers as well as IGOs and NGOs to scale up and mainstream the adoption of resource-efficient and cleaner patterns of production. This is achieved through recycling, resource recovery and/or environmentally sound treatment and disposal of wastes, waste waters and toxic and/or hazardous chemicals, and also in particular for the sustainable use and management of water and other natural resources used in industrial processes.
The “Inclusive Green Growth in Egypt” (IGGE) project contributes to the efforts of the Government of Egypt, and in particular the Ministry of Trade and industry, to boost growth, productivity and job creation in Egypt, while at the same time safeguarding the environment. Concrete actions will be implemented by the project in two governorates in five clusters and value chains related to sectors contributing to the development of a green economy, i.e. sustainable agriculture and food production, waste management, and sustainable energy.
MSMEs in a green economy plays a crucial role in local economic development, and make use of resources traditionally overlooked and/or wasted. Hence, their development brings about both economic and environmental benefits.
The project supports MSMEs to improve productivity, innovation and growth, enhance the employability of young women and men in targeted sectors, and mainstreams green growth approaches into government policies and strategies.
Duty station: Cairo, Egypt
Approximate duration: 6 months (with the possibility of extension)
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, in day-to-day coordination with the Industrial Development Expert - Green Growth Technical Specialist, and in collaboration with the project team, s/he will be responsible for facilitating the effective coordination, implementation and monitoring of project activities. The incumbent will be responsible for ensuring that all relevant partners and institutional stakeholders are involved and informed as appropriate, in order to ensure optimum cooperation. The NPC’s tasks will include technical delivery of inputs, training, visibility activities, monitoring and reporting, and will provide advice on planning and implementation of the project’s activities in agribusiness, related by-products / services / innovative applications. More specifically the incumbent will undertake the following duties:
A. OVERALL COORDINATION
1. Contribute substantially to the planning of project activities including required budgets and human resources, in accordance with UNIDO rules and regulations;
2. Facilitate the effective coordination, implementation and monitoring of project activities, including through bi-weekly meetings and / or at least monthly field visits, in accordance with UNIDO rules and regulations and endorsed work plans, thus building the project’s reputation for quality design and reliable delivery;
3. Establish coordination mechanisms with national and local Government and non-Government partners, and accordingly promote and maintain regular exchange of information;
4. Liaise regularly with the project’s Steering Committee members, and coordinate with the Ministry of Trade and Industry (main Government counterpart) to convene the Steering Committee bi-annually.
B. ASSISTANCE IN TECHNICAL DELIVERY OF INPUTS / ADVISORY SERVICES
1. Participate in the preparation of a detailed project work plan and assist the UNIDO Project Manager and Industrial Development Expert in defining required national expertise, equipment, sub-contracts, responsibilities, milestones and time schedule for the project implementation;
2. Contribute substantially to the development of the terms of reference of project staff, consultants and subcontractors, and participate in their selection;
3. Together with the Industrial Development Expert, provide technical support to international consultants on missions and supervise the work of national consultants, especially in the field of agribusiness, related by-products / services / innovative applications;
4. Coordinate activities of consultants and sub-contractors in the field of agribusiness, related by-products / services / innovative applications, including supervision of field operations, review of technical outputs/reports, assessment of project achievements and cost control;
5. Translate and prepare documentation as required.
C. PROJECT IMPLEMENTATION
1. Conduct effective and transparent communications/negotiations with Government and non-Government partners (including but not limited to Steering Committee members) to achieve mutual understanding, sustainably integrate project’s activities into the local and national institutional and policy framework, and ensure project’s activities are aligned with Government’s priorities and contribute to Government’s efforts;
2. Plan and organize meetings, workshops, roundtables and similar events, especially in the field of agribusiness, related by-products / services / innovative applications;
3. Prepare inputs on the status of project implementation, planned activities and actual achievements;
4. Prepare inputs for financial forecasts and budget revisions ensuring cost efficiency and effectiveness in achieving outputs.
D. TRAINING ACTIVITIES
1. Participate in the identification of participants for training seminars, workshops, study tours and fellowships as well as their evaluation;
2. Contribute to the development of curriculum, training materials, etc., especially in the field of agribusiness, related by-products / services / innovative applications.
E. VISIBILITY ACTIVITIES
1. Contribute to the project visibility by raising awareness among all stakeholders and project counterparts as well as sensitizing the media on the project’s goals and activities, in collaboration with UNIDO;
2. Prepare inputs for the development of awareness material, especially in the field of agribusiness, related by-products / services / innovative applications.
F. REPORTING AND AD-HOC ASSISTANCE
1. Coordinate daily with the Industrial Development Expert to discuss project implementation, important meetings, obstacles encountered, local developments and any other issues that may have an impact on the project;
2. Submit, as required, evaluation reports for the performance of national services providers contracted for the Project, especially in the field of agribusiness, related by-products / services / innovative applications;
3. Conduct research and write sections of progress and technical reports, especially in the field of agribusiness, related by-products / services / innovative applications, as may be required;
4. Contribute to reviewing all national level deliverables to ensure quality and consistency with UNIDO methodology;
5. Prepare an annual report detailing activities carried out and related outputs, lessons learnt and recommendations, as per the present Terms of Reference.
6. Carry out any other assignments as may be requested by UNIDO Project Manager.
WE LIVE AND ACT WITH INTEGRITY: work honestly, openly and impartially.
WE SHOW PROFESSIONALISM: work hard and competently in a committed and responsible manner.
WE RESPECT DIVERSITY: work together effectively, respectfully and inclusively, regardless of our differences in culture and perspective.
WE FOCUS ON PEOPLE: cooperate to fully reach our potential –and this is true for our colleagues as well as our clients. Emotional intelligence and receptiveness are vital parts of our UNIDO identity.
WE FOCUS ON RESULTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: focus on planning, organizing and managing our work effectively and efficiently. We are responsible and accountable for achieving our results and meeting our performance standards. This accountability does not end with our colleagues and supervisors, but we also owe it to those we serve and who have trusted us to contribute to a better, safer and healthier world.
WE COMMUNICATE AND EARN TRUST: communicate effectively with one another and build an environment of trust where we can all excel in our work.
WE THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX AND INNOVATE: To stay relevant, we continuously improve, support innovation, share our knowledge and skills, and learn from one another.
Advanced university degree in agricultural sciences, engineering, economics, or other relevant discipline.
Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic is required.
Field of Expertise
At least 7 years of professional experience in technical cooperation project implementation in agribusiness and related sectors, especially in the area of MSME development and youth empowerment. Exposure to the needs, conditions and problems of local communities in Upper Egypt. Capacity to work in a complex institutional environment involving government, international agencies, private sector and civil society organizations. Strong communication and interpersonal skills. Knowledge and experience of work with UN constituents. Knowledge and experience of UNIDO procedures is an asset.