Post Level: SB1 - Local support
TEMPORARY APPOINTMENT OF PROJECT PERSONNEL
Only nationals and/or permanent residents of the country of the duty station are eligible to apply. Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
06 December 2018
Individual Service Agreement
19 December 2018
The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is the specialized agency of the United Nations that promotes industrial development for poverty reduction, inclusive globalization and environmental sustainability. The mission of the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), as described in the Lima Declaration adopted at the fifteenth session of the UNIDO General Conference in 2013, is to promote and accelerate inclusive and sustainable industrial development (ISID) in Member States. The relevance of ISID as an integrated approach to all three pillars of sustainable development is recognized by the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which will frame United Nations and country efforts towards sustainable development in the next fifteen years. UNIDOs mandate is fully recognized in SDG-9, which calls to Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation. The relevance of ISID, however, applies in greater or lesser extent to all SDGs. Accordingly, the Organizations programmatic focus is structured in four strategic priorities: Creating shared prosperity; Advancing economic competitiveness; Safeguarding the environment; and Strengthening knowledge and institutions.
Each of these programmatic fields of activity contains a number of individual programmes, which are implemented in a holistic manner to achieve effective outcomes and impacts through UNIDOs four enabling functions: (i) technical cooperation; (ii) analytical and research functions and policy advisory services; (iii) normative functions and standards and quality-related activities; and (iv) convening and partnerships for knowledge transfer, networking and industrial cooperation. Such core functions are carried out in Departments/Offices in its Headquarters, Regional Offices and Hubs and Country Offices.
The Programme Development and Technical Cooperation (PTC) of UNIDO is responsible for providing technical
cooperation services on technological and economic issues and is organized in the following departments: Department
of Partnerships and Results Monitoring; Department of Agri-Business Development; Department of Trade, Investment
and Innovation; Department of Energy; and Department of Environment. Furthermore, PTC has a close cooperation
with other field based Centers and Offices, such as the Investment and Technology Promotion Offices, forming the
extended field network of UNIDO.
The mandate of the Department of Trade, Investment and Innovation (TII) is to enhance the contribution to industrial
development of the private sector as the engine of growth for poverty reduction.
The position is located in the Business Environment, Cluster and Innovation Division (BCI) which provides assistance in designing and implementing cluster development strategies and initiatives aimed at promoting local economic systems where firms can network, complement their capabilities, and increase their access to resources and markets within a conducive institutional environment. The Division also supports business partnerships between large corporations and small suppliers and their integration into national and global value chains, and promotes business strategies based on corporate social responsibility.
The Project Assistant will predominantly support the UNIDO Project Manager at Headquarters and the project team
working on the UNIDO project Supporting small and medium-sized manufacturers in the automotive component
industry in India: Deepening and widening the services provided within the framework of the UNIDO-ACMA-DHI
Partnership Programme (Phase II) (ID 170091).
The overall objective of this project is to facilitate the building of competency and capability of Tier-2 and lower tier
automotive component manufacturers to be productive and innovative and hence establish and succeed as preferred
suppliers to national and international Tier-1s and Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) by building upon and
expanding the established UNIDO-ACMA methodology developed in Phase I of the project (2014-2018).
The Project Assistant may furthermore be asked to assist the Project Manager in the administration of a variety of
other technical cooperation projects.
DUTY STATION: Vienna, Austria
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, the Project Assistant provides support in the development and administration of technical cooperation programmes and projects as well as secretarial and administrative support and is responsible for the following key functions:
- Screen incoming mail and draft reply for supervisors signature on non-technical aspects; provide relevant background/project information whenever necessary to supervisor(s); keeps track of pending matters, follow up with other offices on deadlines.
- Screen phone calls and visitors. Respond to moderately complex information requests and inquiries as necessary, as well as to refer queries to appropriate personnel for handling.
- Draft routine correspondence (both on TC-related and administrative matters); and put them into adequate style, language and format; proofread documents and edit texts for accuracy, grammar, punctuation and style in accordance with standard practices and in compliance with the UNIDO Correspondence Manual.
- Assist or monitor exercises related TC projects (e.g.: budget revisions, obligation reviews, re-phasing, extension or completion of projects, issuance of new project allotment documents/due sub-allotments, TC allocations and monitoring related exercises). Interpret or consult to clarify the application of new financial procedures, TC guidelines and other instructions. Keep track of project budget expenditures; assist in budget revisions; complete justification for budget revisions; provide information on the project, draw the supervisors attention to problems encountered. Retrieve information on TC projects from the SAP PPM module that has been designed to support results-based management.
- Using SAP, initiate and follow up on actions related to recruitment of experts, training and study tours, purchase of equipment, travel authorizations requests/claims and deal with all related inquiries.
- Perform general administrative tasks like arrangements for meetings and other events, reservations, budget follow-up, research for information and reference material. Prepare requests/documents, e.g. requisitions, purchase orders, travel requests/authorizations, expenditure authorizations, visa applications, etc.
- Assist in the preparation of papers and presentations by extracting/summarizing statistics and other related information; compile and organize information and reference materials from various sources for reports, meetings, etc.
- Maintain files (both paper and electronic) and databases related to work.
- Perform any other related duties as assigned.
INTEGRITY: To work honestly, openly, impartially and in accordance with the values of the United Nations.
PROFESSIONALISM: To work in a competent, committed and calm manner.
RESPECT FOR DIVERSITY: To work effectively, respectfully and inclusively with people from different backgrounds and with different perspectives.
RESULTS ORIENTATION AND ACCOUNTABILITY: To be accountable and responsible for achieving results and meeting performance standards.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: To plan, organize and manage work effectively and efficiently.
COMMUNICATION AND TRUST: To communicate effectively and build trust.
TEAM ORIENTATION: To cooperate at various levels.
CLIENT ORIENTATION: To be responsive towards those to whom services are provided internally and externally.
ORGANIZATIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND INNOVATION: To realize continuous improvement, support innovation, share knowledge and skills and learn from others.
Completed secondary education. Formal secretarial/clerical training or equivalent desirable. Credit towards total working experience may be considered on a year-by-year basis, up to maximum of 4 years, for a first university degree or equivalent diploma in a field relevant to the post.
English - Fluent
Field of Expertise
A minimum of six years of working experience in the related fields of the post, thorough understanding of office procedures and practices, preferably within the UN system or in a multicultural environment, including experience in project administration, accounting and finance, providing support to managerial/professional staff and using secretarial/administrative skills to assist in the execution of project development and implementation of work. Proficient use of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint), internet. Experience with SAP or similar ERP software an asset.