Project Assistant (2 positions) PTC/TII/BCI
Post Level: SB2 - Local support
TEMPORARY APPOINTMENT OF PROJECT PERSONNEL
Only nationals and/or permanent residents of the country of the duty station are eligible to apply. Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
04 October 2019
Individual Service Agreement
17 October 2019
The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is the specialized agency of the United Nations that promotes industrial development for poverty reduction, inclusive globalization and environmental sustainability. The mission of UNIDO, as described in the Lima Declaration adopted at the fifteenth session of the UNIDO General Conference in 2013, is to promote and accelerate inclusive and sustainable industrial development (ISID) in Member States. The relevance of ISID as an integrated approach to all three pillars of sustainable development is recognized by the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which will frame United Nations and country efforts towards sustainable development in the next fifteen years. UNIDOs mandate is fully recognized in SDG-9, which calls to Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation. The relevance of ISID, however, applies in greater or lesser extent to all SDGs. Accordingly, the Organizations programmatic focus is structured in four strategic priorities: Creating shared prosperity; Advancing economic competitiveness; Safeguarding the environment; and Strengthening knowledge and institutions.
Each of these programmatic fields of activity contains a number of individual programmes, which are implemented in a holistic manner to achieve effective outcomes and impacts through UNIDOs four enabling functions: (i) technical cooperation; (ii) analytical and research functions and policy advisory services; (iii) normative functions and standards and quality-related activities; and (iv) convening and partnerships for knowledge transfer, networking and industrial cooperation. Such core functions are carried out in Departments/Offices in its Headquarters, Regional Offices and Hubs and Country Offices.
The Directorate of Programme Development and Technical Cooperation (PTC) is responsible and accountable for providing technical cooperation services to enhance the capabilities of developing countries and economies in transition to promote ISID in the areas covered by five departments: Department of Programmes, Partnerships and Field Integration; Department of Agri-Business; Department of Trade, Investment and Innovation; Department of Environment; and Department of Energy.
The Department of Trade, Investment and Innovation (PTC/TII) supports countries in their efforts to develop through trade, investment and innovation the potential of the manufacturing sector to drive socio-economic progress.
The positions are located in the Business Environment, Cluster and Innovation Division (PTC/TII/BCI) which works with and for the private sector to increase the latters contribution to sustainable growth and inclusive development. One of its core competences lies in the promotion of clusters and consortia fostering resilient business alliances and reliable institutional networks that allow firms, including micro and small businesses, to achieve economies of scale and scope, complement capabilities and gain access to additional resources and markets. The competitive advantage generated by joint action creates business opportunities otherwise unattainable to individual firms and triggers employment and productivity growth.
PROJECT CONTEXT (170091):
The UNIDO-ACMA Partnership Programme finds its origin in the recognition of the need of the Indian automotive component industry to be globally competitive and to embrace globally accepted best practices not only in their own operations, but also to vertically extend such practices to their sub-suppliers. The objective of the Partnership Programme therefore is to strengthen the capacity of Indian small and medium-sized automotive component manufacturers to meet the (stringent quality) requirements of vehicle manufacturers and to enhance their productivity and performance levels so as to facilitate their inclusion into domestic as well as the global automotive supply chains.
The project builds on the experiences from and results of previous interventions in the Indian automotive industry, specifically four predecessor phases, the latest of which has been completed in July 2018 (Phase I). The project thus pursues the following core objective:
Facilitating the building of competency and capability of Tier-2 and lower tier automotive component manufacturers to be productive and innovative and hence establish and succeed as preferred suppliers to national and international Tier-1s and OEMs in face of international competition.
PROJECT CONTEXT (180180):
The overall aim of the project (ID 180180) is to create economic opportunities and jobs in the construction sector in Lebanon, particularly among host and refugee communities in Northern areas of Lebanon. More specifically, the proposed project outcome is to support the establishment of a construction sector skill and vocational training center in the North of Lebanon, design of construction skill and vocational trainings curricula and develop training capacities to assure the centers sustaining capacities to deliver the new construction training modules.
DUTY STATION: UNIDO Headquarters, Vienna, Austria
DURATION: 3 months (with possibility of extension)
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, the Project Assistant provides support in the development and administration of technical cooperation programmes and projects as well as secretarial and administrative support and is responsible for the following key functions:
- Screen incoming mail and draft reply for supervisors signature on non-technical aspects; provide relevant background/project information whenever necessary to supervisor(s); keeps track of pending matters, follow up with other offices on deadlines.
- Screen phone calls and visitors. Respond to moderately complex information requests and inquiries as necessary, as well as to refer queries to appropriate personnel for handling.
- Draft routine correspondence (both on TC-related and administrative matters); and put them into adequate style, language and format; proofread documents and edit texts for accuracy, grammar, punctuation and style in accordance with standard practices and in compliance with the UNIDO Correspondence Manual.
- Assist or monitor exercises related TC projects (e.g.: budget revisions, obligation reviews, re-phasing, extension or completion of projects, issuance of new project allotment documents/due sub-allotments, TC allocations and monitoring related exercises). Interpret or consult to clarify the application of new financial procedures, TC guidelines and other instructions. Keep track of project budget expenditures; assist in budget revisions; complete justification for budget revisions; provide information on the project, draw the supervisors attention to problems encountered. Retrieve information on TC projects from the SAP PPM module that has been designed to support results-based management.
- Using SAP, initiate and follow up on actions related to recruitment of experts, training and study tours, purchase of equipment, travel authorizations requests/claims and deal with all related inquiries.
- Perform general administrative tasks like arrangements for meetings and other events, reservations, budget follow-up, research for information and reference material. Prepare requests/documents, e.g. requisitions, purchase orders, travel requests/authorizations, expenditure authorizations, visa applications, etc.
- Assist in the preparation of papers and presentations by extracting/summarizing statistics and other related information; compile and organize information and reference materials from various sources for reports, meetings, etc.
- Maintain files (both paper and electronic) and databases related to work.
- Perform any other related duties as assigned.
WE LIVE AND ACT WITH INTEGRITY: work honestly, openly and impartially.
WE SHOW PROFESSIONALISM: work hard and competently in a committed and responsible manner.
WE RESPECT DIVERSITY: work together effectively, respectfully and inclusively, regardless of our differences in culture and perspective.
WE FOCUS ON PEOPLE: cooperate to fully reach our potential and this is true for our colleagues as well as our clients. Emotional intelligence and receptiveness are vital parts of our UNIDO identity.
WE FOCUS ON RESULTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: focus on planning, organizing and managing our work effectively and efficiently. We are responsible and accountable for achieving our results and meeting our performance standards. This accountability does not end with our colleagues and supervisors, but we also owe it to those we serve and who have trusted us to contribute to a better, safer and healthier world.
WE COMMUNICATE AND EARN TRUST: communicate effectively with one another and build an environment of trust where we can all excel in our work.
WE THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX AND INNOVATE: To stay relevant, we continuously improve, support innovation, share our knowledge and skills, and learn from one another
Completed secondary education. Formal secretarial/clerical training or equivalent desirable. Credit towards total working experience may be considered on a year by-year- basis, up to maximum of four years, for a first university degree or equivalent diploma, in a field relevant to the post.
Fluency in written and spoken English is required. Fluency and/or working knowledge of another official UN language is desirable.
Field of Expertise
A minimum of six years of working experience in the related fields of the post, thorough understanding of office procedures and practices, preferably within the UN system or in a multicultural environment, including experience in project administration, accounting and finance, providing support to managerial/professional staff and using secretarial/administrative skills to assist in the execution of project development and implementation of work. Proficient use of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint), internet. Experience with SAP or similar ERP software an asset