Senior Logistics Assistant
Post Level: SB3 - Local support
TEMPORARY APPOINTMENT OF PROJECT PERSONNEL
Only nationals and/or permanent residents of the country of the duty station are eligible to apply. Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
28 November 2019
Individual Service Agreement
19 December 2019
The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is the specialized agency of the United Nations that promotes industrial development for poverty reduction, inclusive globalization and environmental sustainability. The mission of UNIDO, as described in the Lima Declaration adopted at the fifteenth session of the UNIDO General Conference in 2013, is to promote and accelerate inclusive and sustainable industrial development (ISID) in Member States. The relevance of ISID as an integrated approach to all three pillars of sustainable development is recognized by the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which will frame United Nations and country efforts towards sustainable development in the next fifteen years. UNIDOs mandate is fully recognized in SDG-9, which calls to Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation. The relevance of ISID, however, applies in greater or lesser extent to all SDGs. Accordingly, the Organizations programmatic focus is structured in four strategic priorities: Creating shared prosperity; Advancing economic competitiveness; Safeguarding the environment; and Strengthening knowledge and institutions.
Each of these programmatic fields of activity contains a number of individual programmes, which are implemented in a holistic manner to achieve effective outcomes and impacts through UNIDOs four enabling functions: (i) technical cooperation; (ii) analytical and research functions and policy advisory services; (iii) normative functions and standards and quality-related activities; and (iv) convening and partnerships for knowledge transfer, networking and industrial cooperation. Such core functions are carried out in Departments/Offices in its Headquarters, Regional Offices and Hubs and Country Offices.
The position is located under the Agro-Industries Technology division (PTC/AGR/AIT) an integral part of the Department of Agri-Business Development (PTC/AGR).
The Department provides a range of technical cooperation services to assist developing countries add value to the output of their agricultural sector and generate employment opportunities in off-farm activities for rural communities, thereby contributing to increased food security and a sustainable reduction of poverty. The conceptual framework is that of agribusiness value chains: comprehensive analyses offer a rigorous base for the deployment of specialized services targeting the weaker links of the chain: agricultural mechanization, modern processing technologies, packaging of perishable products, the promotion of food safety in the processing and regulatory environment; and interventions to improve competitiveness and productivity.
PTC/AGR drives the Organizations mandate of creating shared prosperity. To this end, it supports initiatives to build human capital and raise total factor productivity through focused vocational training and industrial skills development activities. Based on its experience in post-crisis and human security programmes and projects, the Department responds to complex emergencies through activities that contribute to socio-economic security both at national and local level such as restoring and upgrading local productive capacities; building and strengthening institutions; and honing the resilience of the most vulnerable, including youth and women. The Department cooperates closely with other organizational units of UNIDO, and in particular with the Department of Trade, Investment and Innovation in the provision of its services.
Under the Private Public Partnership (PPP) Project Training Institute for Commercial Vehicle Drivers in Ethiopia, UNIDO, VOLVO, the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA), Selam Vocational Training Centre (VTC) and Federal Transport Authority are jointly engaged, where the overall objective is to transform the commercial vehicle drivers training in Ethiopia through a fully functional model training academy with an international standard and an inclusive curriculum focusing on highly needed skills and attitude, using state-of-the-art driving training equipment and training tools based on international best practices.
Vocational Technical Education should prepare both young men and women for professions or jobs that are based on non-academic approaches, related to specific trades, occupations or vocations in line with market demands. It includes technical skills development, as the trainees develop hands on expertise in a specific technology and sector.
Duty station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Start of contract: as soon as possible; end of contract: 2 months (with the possibility of extension)
Under the administrative supervision of the UNIDO Project Coordination Specialist and the National Project Coordinator and overall guidance of the UNIDO Project Manager (PM), the Senior Logistics Assistant will perform a range of tasks and will be responsible for handling logistics, procurement, and inventory related activities of UNIDOs MISALE Driver Training Academy Project that is located in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The main duties and responsibilities for the Senior Logistics Assistant shall be as follows:
- Ensure close communication between the project and RO regarding financial and administrative matters
- Undertake administrative duties including, but not limited to: preparation of fund of the project, follow-up on payments and settlement; handle petty cash request, purchases, replenishment and settlement; manage payment of DSAs and settlement, Straight expenditures, and minor bank transfers.
- Follow up administrative matters of the project including assisting in the preparation of ToRs, reports, develop and maintain filing system (both electronic and hard copies) for administrative documentation that guarantees swift retrieval of requested documents
- Ensure the continuous provision of supplies and materials to the project coordination office in accordance with UNIDO procurement policies and procedures
- Handle overall shipment logistics management including review, verification and reconciliation of shipping documents and related activities
- Ensure timely delivery of procurement orders; follow up on obtaining duty-free permits, undertake the necessary follow up with the concerned UNDP office, Ministry of Foreign Affairs as well as customs clearing agents to ensure the clearing and timely delivery of the imported goods.
- Supervise incoming shipment to ensure that they are intact and accurate. Ensure all purchased items are received in accordance with PO and specifications, and that all goods are in good condition, provide certificate of acceptance/ Goods receiving note for admin and finance unit at the HQ for timely payment
- Manage asset administration storage of recurrent supplies and materials following UNIDO standard processes
- Maintain up-to-date and accurate inventories for fixed assets and supplies
- Ensure office utility payments are processed and paid timely
- In close coordination with the National Project coordinator (NPC) and admin and finance assistant, conduct coordination of school and project vehicles and drivers, follow-up vehicle logs such as mileage and fuel consumption, insurance payment, vehicle maintenance and identify vehicle needs and preparing regular reports as well as timely reporting with UNIDO RO. Driving vehicles when needed.
- Handles all logistical coordination for project trainings/workshops and events including proper planning and documentation, invitations, refreshment, room rental, printing, etc
- Handles email, mail and phone general enquiries and requests for information and materials. Assist with office mailing and provide support assistance
- Travel to regions for assigned HQ, RO and project missions, including organizing and accompanying the project staff on missions to local communities and government offices and provide translation and facilitation of the meetings and consultations.
- Provide logistics support for HQ and RO events such as international workshops, assist with protocol for high ranking stakeholder delegates
- When delegated, manage the PROJECT office in the absence of the National Project Coordinator, NPC.
- Coordinate with local partners regarding logistics matters and facilitate timely delivery of reports
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned by UNIDO Project Manager
WE LIVE AND ACT WITH INTEGRITY: work honestly, openly and impartially.
WE SHOW PROFESSIONALISM: work hard and competently in a committed and responsible manner.
WE RESPECT DIVERSITY: work together effectively, respectfully and inclusively, regardless of our differences in culture and perspective.
WE FOCUS ON PEOPLE: cooperate to fully reach our potential and this is true for our colleagues as well as our clients. Emotional intelligence and receptiveness are vital parts of our UNIDO identity.
WE FOCUS ON RESULTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: focus on planning, organizing and managing our work effectively and efficiently. We are responsible and accountable for achieving our results and meeting our performance standards. This accountability does not end with our colleagues and supervisors, but we also owe it to those we serve and who have trusted us to contribute to a better, safer and healthier world.
WE COMMUNICATE AND EARN TRUST: communicate effectively with one another and build an environment of trust where we can all excel in our work.
WE THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX AND INNOVATE: To stay relevant, we continuously improve, support innovation, share our knowledge and skills, and learn from one another.
Completed secondary education. High school diploma required. Credit towards total working experience may be considered on a year by-year- basis, up to maximum of four years, for a first university degree or equivalent diploma, in a field relevant to the post.
Fluency in oral/written English. # Fluency in oral/written Amharic.
Field of Expertise
• Minimum 10 years experience in the field operations and logistics.
• Thorough understanding of office procedures and practices, preferably within the UN system or in a multicultural environment.
• Experience in project administration providing support to managerial/professional staff and using administrative skills to assist in the execution of project and programme development and implementation of work.
• Proficient use of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint), internet.
• Excellent knowledge of computer applications especially the Microsoft suite of programs.
• Experience with SAP or similar ERP software is an asset.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-stakeholder environment.