Post Level: G4
This post is for local recruitment only.
25 October 2018
Fixed Term (100 series)
20 November 2018
THE APPOINTMENT IS LIMITED TO THE SPECIFIED PROJECT(S) ONLY AND DOES NOT CARRY ANY EXPECTATION OF RENEWAL.
UNIDO is the specialized agency of the United Nations that promotes industrial development for poverty reduction, inclusive globalization and environmental sustainability. The mission of the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), as described in the Lima Declaration adopted at the fifteenth session of the UNIDO General Conference in 2013, is to promote and accelerate inclusive and sustainable industrial development (ISID) in Member States. The relevance of ISID as an integrated approach to all three pillars of sustainable development is recognized by the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which will frame United Nations and country efforts towards sustainable development in the next fifteen years. UNIDOs mandate is fully recognized in SDG-9, which calls to Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation. The relevance of ISID, however, applies in greater or lesser extent to all SDGs. Accordingly, the Organizations programmatic focus is structured in four strategic priorities: Creating shared prosperity; Advancing economic competitiveness; Safeguarding the environment; and Strengthening knowledge and institutions.
Each of these programmatic fields of activity contains a number of individual programmes, which are implemented in a holistic manner to achieve effective outcomes and impacts through UNIDOs four enabling functions: (i) technical cooperation; (ii) analytical and research functions and policy advisory services; (iii) normative functions and standards and quality-related activities; and (iv) convening and partnerships for knowledge transfer, networking and industrial cooperation. Such core functions are carried out in Departments/Offices in its Headquarters, Regional Offices and Hubs and Country Offices.
This position is located in the West Africa Competitiveness and Quality Infrastructure Programme office at ECOWAS premises in Abuja, Nigeria
At the G4 level the incumbent is expected to perform general as well as targeted processes focusing on basic service delivery and support services within the organizational environment and team. His/Her interventions result in the focused process impact.
The UNIDO Staff Performance Management System reinforces the collaboration within formal units as well as among cross-functional teams. In this context, the incumbent collaborates with his/her supervisor and colleagues, within as well as outside the unit. Within the formal teams, the incumbent may be expected to backstop other team members as required.
Under the supervision of the Programme Manager, PTC/TII/SQI and the Chief Technical Advisor, the Team Assistant provides support in the administration of the West Africa Competitiveness and Quality Infrastructure Programme as well as clerical and administrative support and is responsible for the following key functions:
1. Screen incoming mail and draft reply for supervisors signature on non-technical aspects; provide relevant background/project information whenever necessary to supervisor(s); keeps track of pending matters, follow up with other offices on deadlines.
2. Screen phone calls and visitors. Respond to moderately complex information requests and inquiries as necessary, as well as to refer queries to appropriate personnel for handling.
3. Draft routine correspondence (both on administrative and/or TC-related matters); and put them into adequate style, language and format; proofread documents and edit texts for accuracy, grammar, punctuation and style in accordance with standard practices and in compliance with the UNIDO Correspondence Manual.
4. Consult to clarify the application of new financial procedures and rules, UNIDO Administrative Instructions, policies and Regulations and Rules, TC guidelines and other instructions. Retrieve information on administrative matters and/or TC projects from the SAP modules which have been designed to support results-based management.
5. Using SAP, initiate and follow up on actions related to recruitment of staff, experts, training and study tours, purchase of equipment, payments, travel authorizations requests/claims and deal with all related inquiries.
6. Perform administrative tasks such as arrangements for meetings and other events, reservations, research for information and reference material. Prepare requests/documents, e.g. requisitions, purchase orders, travel requests/authorizations, expenditure authorizations, visa applications, etc.
7. Maintain an up-to-date filing system (both paper and electronic) and databases related to work.
8. Perform any other related duties as assigned.
INTEGRITY: To work honestly, openly, impartially and in accordance with the values of the United Nations.
PROFESSIONALISM: To work in a competent, committed and calm manner.
RESPECT FOR DIVERSITY: To work effectively, respectfully and inclusively with people from different backgrounds and with different perspectives.
RESULTS ORIENTATION AND ACCOUNTABILITY: To be accountable and responsible for achieving results and meeting performance standards.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: To plan, organize and manage work effectively and efficiently.
COMMUNICATION AND TRUST: To communicate effectively and build trust.
TEAM ORIENTATION: To cooperate at various levels.
CLIENT ORIENTATION: To be responsive towards those to whom services are provided internally and externally.
ORGANIZATIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND INNOVATION: To realize continuous improvement, support innovation, share knowledge and skills and learn from others.
Completed higher secondary education. High school diploma or equivalent is required. Formal secretarial/clerical training or equivalent is desirable.
Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
Fluency in French or Portuguese is a must.
Field of Expertise
- A minimum of six years (6) of working experience in the related fields of the post.
- Thorough understanding of office procedures and practices, preferably within the UN system or in a multicultural environment.
- Experience in project administration, providing support to managerial/professional staff and using administrative skills to assist in the execution of project development and implementation of work.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel), internet. Experience with SAP or similar ERP software is an asset.
Credit towards total working experience may be considered on a year by-year- basis, up to maximum of four years, for a first university degree or equivalent diploma, in a field relevant to the post.
NOTE: Eligible internal UNIDO applicants are required to have served at least one year in his or her current post. However, the seniority-in-grade requirements for applying for higher level positions, as per paragraphs 18 and 78 of the HRMF, have been waived.