Technical Advisor Bioenergy
Post Level: SB5 - Local Professional (Mid-Level & Senior)
TEMPORARY APPOINTMENT OF PROJECT PERSONNEL
Only nationals and/or permanent residents of the country of the duty station are eligible to apply. Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
13 January 2022
Individual Service Agreement
27 January 2022
The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is the specialized agency of the United Nations that promotes industrial development for poverty reduction, inclusive globalization and environmental sustainability. The mission of UNIDO, as described in the Lima Declaration adopted at the fifteenth session of the UNIDO General Conference in 2013 as well as the Abu Dhabi Declaration adopted at the eighteenth session of UNIDO General Conference in 2019, is to promote and accelerate inclusive and sustainable industrial development (ISID) in Member States. The relevance of ISID as an integrated approach to all three pillars of sustainable development is recognized by the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which will frame United Nations and country efforts towards sustainable development. UNIDO’s mandate is fully recognized in SDG-9, which calls to “Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation”. The relevance of ISID, however, applies in greater or lesser extent to all SDGs. Accordingly, the Organization’s programmatic focus is structured in four strategic priorities: Creating shared prosperity; Advancing economic competitiveness; Safeguarding the environment; and Strengthening knowledge and institutions.
Each of these programmatic fields of activity contains a number of individual programmes, which are implemented in a holistic manner to achieve effective outcomes and impacts through UNIDO’s four enabling functions: (i) technical cooperation; (ii) analytical and research functions and policy advisory services; (iii) normative functions and standards and quality-related activities; and (iv) convening and partnerships for knowledge transfer, networking and industrial cooperation. Such core functions are carried out in Departments/Offices in its Headquarters, Regional Offices and Hubs and Country Offices.
The Directorate of Environment and Energy (EAE), headed by a Managing Director, aims to integrate and scale-up the energy and environment activities focusing on supporting governments and industries to provide sustainable and resilient soft and hard infrastructure for industrial development, supporting industries to contribute to climate neutral circular economy, and supporting governments and industries in fulfilling national commitments under multinational climate and environmental agreements. The Directorate consists of the Department of Environment and the Department of Energy.
The responsibility of the Department of Energy (EAE/ENE) is to assist Member States in the transition to a sustainable energy future under the overarching mandate of ISID, through the application of renewable energy for productive uses, adoption of the efficient use of energy by industry and the introduction of low-carbon technologies and processes. In transitioning to a sustainable energy future, the challenges of addressing energy poverty and climate change become an integral part of the Department activities.
This position is located under the Energy Technologies and Industrial Applications Division (EAE/ENE/ETI) is responsible for supporting Member States with technology transfer and localization of low-carbon energy technologies and their applications towards achieving the ISID. It focuses on facilitating localization and adoption of energy technologies in frontier markets and their applications in industry for productive uses.
Promotion of waste-to-energy (WTE) applications in agro-industries of Tanzania
UNIDO is executing a number of bioenergy projects in Tanzania, including the:
- GEF-5 funded project to promote waste to energy technologies in the agro-industrial sector;
- GEF 6 funded ethanol based clean cooking project; and
- The recently approved UNCDF funded scaling up project for clean cooking.
In addition to the above, the team is developing/executing a few other projects under the energy component of the country programme and the 1 UN joint programme.
The East Africa (a group of 9 countries including Tanzania) Ministerial Consultation meeting, organized by the GEF Secretariat from 18-20 January 2011, identified waste-to-energy (WTE) as one of the priority areas to be considered for East African countries. In line with that, UNIDO is implementing a bioenergy strategy to support developing and least developed countries as well as small islands developing states (SIDS) with the aim to support their clean energy transition and at the same time help to achieve self-reliance in their energy supply leading to considerable savings from reduced importation of fossil fuels. This will be achieved through taking advantage of the bioenergy resources available and strengthening their agro-industries sector to adopt circularity principles in their operations, and at the same time, supporting a private sector driven market development approach.
In the above context, UNIDO intends to recruit a national technical advisor and project specialist in bioenergy to support the project management team in the implementation of ongoing projects and lead the development and fund mobilization of new projects. In addition, the Advisor on Bioenergy shall provide any other relevant services requested by the project manager.
DUTY STATION: Dar es Salaam, United Republic of Tanzania
DURATION: 10 months (with possibility of extension)
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, assists in developing, appraising, adjusting and presenting project/programme proposals, and monitoring programme execution, identifying problems and utilizing information as an input to corrective actions to promote effective project management. Develops and administers technical cooperation projects by:
- Analyze economic, social and political factors which affect a sectoral or regional development programme in relation to relevant resolutions of the Organization's governing body and the Organization's policies and priorities; reflect conclusions reached in sectoral or regional development plans, project proposals and formulations, and in the management coordination of ongoing development activities;
- Analyze development needs and appraise the suitability of proposed programmes and projects in meeting these needs; recommend project approval to the Organization;
- Identify, design and formulate particular development project and programme possibilities in relation to expressed governmental needs and the known capabilities and resources available to the Organization, assess the relative feasibility and impact of proposed projects in country and regional plans;
- Introduce into the project formulation process newly developed modalities, policies and practices, as well as alternative methods for independent evaluation of projects and proposals which are designed to improve the effectiveness and appropriateness of the Organization's project and programme planning and delivery processes;
- Guide, coordinate and integrate the drafting of project proposals and justify them in terms of regional and sectoral development objectives;
- Expedite and endorse submission according to funding institution procedures of all required operational documents for approved projects;
- Manage the implementation of projects and programmes and ensure that assigned inputs are delivered in a timely manner at the right level of quality;
- Provide technical advisory services to counterparts and strategic partners/donors, guide and orient the efforts and contributions of consultants, project personnel, donors, institutions and governments towards the achievement of project objectives;
- Assess the degree of execution of technical assistance project activities and resources; identify problems and resource and financial deficiencies, and initiate and propose corrective or alternative actions.
Specifically, the Technical Advisor (Bioenergy) shall support the bioenergy team in undertaking the following tasks:
1. Coordinate the ongoing bio-energy projects in Tanzania, monitor activities and reporting to HQ and GEF;
2. Undertake research and prepare concept notes and project document for new projects related to bioenergy/biofuels ;
3. Liaise with counterparts, stakeholders, potential partners, and donors;
4. Undertake necessary missions for data collection, monitoring and to support technical teams (subject to COVID 19 pandemic related travel rules of UNIDO as well as the host country)
5. Support the PM in other ad-hoc request within the duration of the contract.
WE LIVE AND ACT WITH INTEGRITY: work honestly, openly and impartially.
WE SHOW PROFESSIONALISM: work hard and competently in a committed and responsible manner.
WE RESPECT DIVERSITY: work together effectively, respectfully and inclusively, regardless of our differences in culture and perspective.
WE FOCUS ON PEOPLE: cooperate to fully reach our potential –and this is true for our colleagues as well as our clients. Emotional intelligence and receptiveness are vital parts of our UNIDO identity.
WE FOCUS ON RESULTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: focus on planning, organizing and managing our work effectively and efficiently. We are responsible and accountable for achieving our results and meeting our performance standards. This accountability does not end with our colleagues and supervisors, but we also owe it to those we serve and who have trusted us to contribute to a better, safer and healthier world.
WE COMMUNICATE AND EARN TRUST: communicate effectively with one another and build an environment of trust where we can all excel in our work.
WE THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX AND INNOVATE: To stay relevant, we continuously improve, support innovation, share our knowledge and skills, and learn from one another.
Advanced university degree in engineering, energy, or other relevant discipline with a specialization in renewable energy, environment and/or climate change is required.
Fluency in written and spoken English is required. Fluency and/or working knowledge of another official UN language is desirable.
Field of Expertise
At least 7 years of professional experience in technical cooperation project management or portfolio project management including some exposure at the international level, is required.
Experience in evaluating the needs, conditions and problems in developing countries (especially Tanzania and the East African Countries) the field of renewable energy including bioenergy is required
Familiarity with the United Nations system and previous assignment with UNIDO is desirable.