Post Level: SB3 - Local support
TEMPORARY APPOINTMENT OF PROJECT PERSONNEL
Only nationals and/or permanent residents of the country of the duty station are eligible to apply. Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
03 May 2019
Individual Service Agreement
23 May 2019
The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is the specialized agency of the United Nations that promotes industrial development for poverty reduction, inclusive globalization and environmental sustainability. The mission of the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), as described in the Lima Declaration adopted at the fifteenth session of the UNIDO General Conference in 2013, is to promote and accelerate inclusive and sustainable industrial development (ISID) in Member States. The relevance of ISID as an integrated approach to all three pillars of sustainable development is recognized by the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which will frame United Nations and country efforts towards sustainable development in the next fifteen years. UNIDOs mandate is fully recognized in SDG-9, which calls to Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation. The relevance of ISID, however, applies in greater or lesser extent to all SDGs. Accordingly, the Organizations programmatic focus is structured in four strategic priorities: Creating shared prosperity; Advancing economic competitiveness; Safeguarding the environment; and Strengthening knowledge and institutions.
Each of these programmatic fields of activity contains a number of individual programmes, which are implemented in a holistic manner to achieve effective outcomes and impacts through UNIDOs four enabling functions: (i) technical cooperation; (ii) analytical and research functions and policy advisory services; (iii) normative functions and standards and quality-related activities; and (iv) convening and partnerships for knowledge transfer, networking and industrial cooperation. Such core functions are carried out in Departments/Offices in its Headquarters, Regional Offices and Hubs and Country Offices.
The position is located under the Agro-Industries Technology Division (PTC/AGR/AIT) an integral part of the Department of Agri-Business Development (PTC/AGR).
The Department provides a range of technical cooperation services to assist developing countries add value to the output of their agricultural sector and generate employment opportunities in off-farm activities for rural communities, thereby contributing to increased food security and a sustainable reduction of poverty. The conceptual framework is that of agribusiness value chains: comprehensive analyses offer a rigorous base for the deployment of specialized services targeting the weaker links of the chain: agricultural mechanization, modern processing technologies, packaging of perishable products, the promotion of food safety in the processing and regulatory environment; and interventions to improve competitiveness and productivity.
PROJECT CONTEXT (ID180173)
The project aims at maintaining and improving industrial vocational and technical trainings across Syria as a tool to accelerate the re-establishment of sustainable livelihoods among local communities.
The project will
(i) support the refurbishing of selected training departments of Syrian Vocational Training centers;
(ii) train vocational and technical instructors;
(iii) support micro-, small- and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs) by proving access for technical training for their workers; and
(iv) introduce STEM curricula at primary schools located among some of the communities most affected by the conflict.
This project will be implemented within the framework of a joint-programme titled Building human capacity for the future generations in Syria output 4: economic governance and capacity of the productive sectors enhanced.
The project is also in line with the 2018 Humanitarian Response Plan - Early Recovery and Livelihoods sector strategy and its defining humanitarian principles.
The project is also aligned with the interventions under the UNSF 2016-2019 Focus Area 3 improving socio-economic resilience of the Syrian people - outcome 3 households and communities benefit from sustainable livelihoods opportunities, including economic recovery and social inclusion and its output 3.1 Income, sustainable livelihood opportunities and inclusive local economic development are restored and maintained and output 3.2 Social and economic needs of the most vulnerable are identified and addressed.
Duty Station: Damascus, Syrian Arab Republic
Approximate Duration: 12 months
Under the supervision of the Project Coordinator and in-close consultation with UNIDO backstopping officer / allotment holder at HQ in Vienna, the Technical Assistant will perform the following tasks:
- Provide inputs on the specifications of equipment to be installed at the vocational training centres, assist in the evaluation of bill of quantities (BOQ) from vendors related to the rehabilitation of the training centres, and supervise the work of contractors;
- Provide technical inputs for training materials and content development, and supervise the trainings at the training centers;
- Maintain network with vendors and suppliers that are working in the field of Hydraulics, Pneumatic and Mechatronic;
- Follow-up on administrative issues related to project activities (civil works, equipment delivery and installation, payments, procurement, shipping and clearance);
- Maintain contact with the UN system in Syria for logistical support resources (i.e. transport to and from the border in Beirut to Damascus);
- Assist in preparation of the quarterly work plans, project progress/final reports, assessment reports and past quarter outputs;
- Manage communications with the focal point at the ministry of industry;
- Manage the day-to-day financial and administrative operations and office support systems, including bookkeeping of the operational cash advances for the project;
- Provide translation support for non-Arabic speaking team members when on mission;
- Undertake missions to Aleppo or elsewhere (excluding Damascus) as required to support activities of the project.
INTEGRITY: To work honestly, openly, impartially and in accordance with the values of the United Nations.
PROFESSIONALISM: To work in a competent, committed and calm manner.
RESPECT FOR DIVERSITY: To work effectively, respectfully and inclusively with people from different backgrounds and with different perspectives.
RESULTS ORIENTATION AND ACCOUNTABILITY: To be accountable and responsible for achieving results and meeting performance standards.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: To plan, organize and manage work effectively and efficiently.
COMMUNICATION AND TRUST: To communicate effectively and build trust.
TEAM ORIENTATION: To cooperate at various levels.
CLIENT ORIENTATION: To be responsive towards those to whom services are provided internally and externally.
ORGANIZATIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND INNOVATION: To realize continuous improvement, support innovation, share knowledge and skills and learn from others
Completed secondary education. University studies in the field of mechanical engineering relevant to the post may be counted towards experience credit (not exceeding a maximum of four years of the actual period of studies whichever is smaller).
English - Fluent # Arabic - Fluent
Field of Expertise
- Minimum of 8 yearsâ relevant work experience,
- Practical hands-on skills are required for this assignment,
- Experience with international projects or international organizations will be considered an advantage,
- Experience creating reports and presentations,
- Experience working with senior stakeholders is considered an advantage,
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills,
- Comfortable working on short deadlines,
- Experience in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel and PowerPoint),
- Strong analytic and research skills â ability to analyze and identify improvement areas,
- Ability to think strategically,
- Attention to detail, and high-level of accountability for the quality and timely completion of project reports / documents