The MED-TEST project: Transfer of Environmental Sound Technology in the South Mediterranean Region
The MED-TEST project address pollution from land-based activities in priority industrial hot spots in three Mediterranean countries: Morocco, Egypt and Tunisia. The regional project is funded by the Global Environment Facility (GEF) and by the Italian Government for a total budget of approximately US$ 1,4 mil and has an expected duration of 3.5 years (2008-2011).
Activities will be undertaken in three stages, as follows:
- Start-up of the project and capacity building that includes the set-up of national focal points/coordinators and selection of national partners. It will also include initial training in TEST integrated approach, the identification and selection of demonstration enterprises and the preparation of initial reviews at demonstration enterprises.
- Introduction of the TEST integrated approach at the demonstration enterprises that includes the implementation of a cleaner production assessment, energy efficiency audits, introduction of EMS(Energy Management System) and environmental management accounting. Additionally, the CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) basic principles; opportunity study for cleaner technology investment and transfer.
- Dissemination of the results of the project, which includes the preparation of National Publication on the applications of the TEST approach; the organization of national seminars; the organization of a Regional Workshop to present the results and the initiation of networking activities between the TEST counterparts and other institutions/national experts from the Mediterranean Region.
Activities are expected to lead to the following outcomes:
- Capacity building of the participating countries to address industrial environmental management in an integrated manner.
- Upgrading the skills of enterprise employees in modern environmental management tools to correct negative industrial practices resulting in more efficient consumption of production inputs and reduction of pollution loads generation.
- Sharing and dissemination of information on industrial best environmental practices for regional, national and local governments, environmental management practitioners, NGOs, and other stakeholders.
The first stage of the project started in March 2009, with the selection of a national focal points/coordinator and the implementing national partner; the Consortium of National Technical Centers.
The first MED-TEST Regional Training took place in Vienna on 27 - 29 April, 2009. National coordinators of Morocco, Egypt and Tunisia participated. They introduced the UNIDO TEST integrated approach and defined the national implementation plans.
For more information on the MED-TEST project click here
To download the MED-TEST programme leaflet click here
Please find more info on the MedPartnership here