Climate Technology Centre and Network (CTCN)
The Climate Technology Centre and Network (CTCN) promotes the accelerated development and transfer of climate technologies at the request of developing countries for energy-efficient, low-carbon and climate-resilient development. It provides technology solutions, capacity building and advice on policy, legal and regulatory frameworks tailored to the needs of individual countries.
CTCN is the operational arm of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) Technology Mechanism and is hosted by the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) and the United Nations Environment.
The CTCN provides technical assistance in response to requests submitted by developing countries via their nationally-selected focal points, or National Designated Entities (NDEs). Upon receipt of such requests, the Centre quickly mobilizes its global Network of climate technology experts to design and deliver a customized solution tailored to local needs.
Technical assistance on climate technologies is provided:
• to developing country academic, public, NGO, or private sector entities at the request of their NDEs
• free of charge (up to a value of 250,000 USD)
• at local, national or regional levels
• for a broad range of adaptation and mitigation technologies
• at all stages of the technology cycle: from identification of climate technology needs; policy assessment; selection and piloting of technological solutions; to assistance that supports technology customization and widespread deployment
How it works:
1. Academic, government, NGO and/or private sector representatives work with their National Designated Entity, the CTCN focal point selected by each country, to identify the type of technical assistance they need in order to implement their technology-related climate plans
2. The NDE conveys the request to CTCN
3. A team of climate technology experts from the CTCN, its Consortium, and Network work with the NDE to provide a solution that is tailored to the needs of the individual country
Network Membership - Scaling up international collaboration:
Membership in the Climate Technology Network provides access to a diverse global community of climate technology users, providers and financiers, under the umbrella of the UNFCCC Technology Mechanism.
The Network comprises academia, civil society, finance, private sector, public sector, and research entities, as well as over 140+ CTCN national representatives (NDEs). Network members gain the opportunity to showcase and promote relevant technologies, policies and practices, and to facilitate their deployment in developing countries by gaining pre-qualified access to competitive bidding for delivery of CTCN technical assistance and/or capacity building services in response to developing country requests.
Click to visit the CTCN Technology Portal to access technology information, webinars, and more on CTCN services.